Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Author says libraries are taking money away from him

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Author says libraries are taking money away from him

Default Author says libraries are taking money away from him

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...comm_ref=false

If it weren't for libraries and free books on Kindle, there are many many authors I would have never read and then went on to purchase their books. My first King book was borrowed from my grandma, many later ones from my school library and local public library. I'm not aware of libraries paying authors for checkouts in the US- anyone else more familiar with how our system works in that regard?

Default Re: Author says libraries are taking money away from him

Quote Originally Posted by Kati33 View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...comm_ref=false

If it weren't for libraries and free books on Kindle, there are many many authors I would have never read and then went on to purchase their books. My first King book was borrowed from my grandma, many later ones from my school library and local public library. I'm not aware of libraries paying authors for checkouts in the US- anyone else more familiar with how our system works in that regard?
    Sometimes the authors get nothing but exposure, and that's not nothing. Besides, most authors spent a good bit of their lives using libraries, so they're perfectly content with the arrangement.

Other times, libraries get (or at least, they used to) books specifically intended for libraries--the cost is much higher to offset the publisher's (and author's) loss of revenue.

I've never heard of this author so maybe he's 'no longer relevant'? I never heard of any authors in the past complaining about something like this either. They should be thankful that their books are in the library system for people to enjoy. Maybe I'm being heartless, but he sounds like a whining baby to me.

Libraries buy a lot of books. If you consider how many libraries there are in the US, if most of them bought a copy then the author should consider himself lucky. There is no analog to the Public Lending Rights Commission here, though.

As a Canadian, I do get paid by the Canadian Public Lending Rights Commission every year, though. It's not based on how often my books are checked out. All they have to do is stock my book. They do a survey every year to see if it's there and then they send me a check based on that. It's a nice little lagniappe.

Books aren't public property
    ...what a douche-nozzle....so what are they genius?....table leg props????....

I think the dude needs new meds

Besides being avaricious and grasping, this author is not thinking clearly. Not only do libraries build readership and create readers, his assumption that readers who check out his books would buy them instead is a false one. In fact, as a children's author, he is most likely benefiting greatly from libraries, because since children often like to read the same books over and over, chances are that if a parent checks out one of his books for his or her child and the child enjoys it, the parent will buy it so that it can be read at bedtime whenever desired. Even as an adult, I have purchased many books that I initially checked out from a library. There may be those who use the library but do not buy books (because of finances), and there may be those who buy books but do not use the library, but my guess that mostly, book buyers and book checker-outers are the same people.

Fortunately, many authors have already come out in open criticism of Deary's position as well as reaffirmed support of public (not free, mind you; we pay for them with taxes) libraries. Neil Gaiman was quite vocal about it, sealing his permanent claim to a soft spot in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by kingricefan View Post
    I've never heard of this author so maybe he's 'no longer relevant'?
    Mr. Dreary has written a ton of books, but is known mostly for his Horrible Histories series. Libraries aside, he also has pretty strong opinions on schools. As he says on his website, he is "campaigning to have all schools closed down and children set free."

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    Other times, libraries get (or at least, they used to) books specifically intended for libraries--the cost is much higher to offset the publisher's (and author's) loss of revenue.
    Thanks for that info. I often wondered why the price was so high for some books purchased by my local library. For many years I donated money for a book, from a list of novels they wanted to add to their collection, on the anniversary of the passing of several immediate family members. We always picked a book from the list that reminded us of the loved one lost, and a sticker was put in the book “Donated in the memory of.... .” We considered it was a way to keep their remembrance alive.

(I stopped the practice after I protested against a tax increase in a public meeting against expanding library hours, apparently for little more reason than a maneuver to provide several staff a full-time status with extensive benefits, and was demonized by library personnel for my opinion.)

The author writes the Horrible Histories books. Over here, they are still VERY relevant. And he coins it in I'm sure by the massive tv show on kids stations here too. What a moaning idiot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast