This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worth Reading?

Default Worth Reading?

This took ages to get into and it was fairly slow going, like Under The Dome and I eventually gave up. Other books since have been faster paced from the start and I'm wondering if this one is just as good but just a little slower at first. Where would you guys rate Bag of Bones on the 1-10 scale?

Default Re: Worth Reading?

Personally, I would give it a 5. I thought it was slow and too much of a love story for my tastes. But I seem to be in the minority on these boards.

Bag of Bones has always been a favorite of mine. I'd say a 9 IMO. Sometimes what is going on in your life will determine if a book is a slow or fast read for you. The theme of the book may not be to your liking, yet later in life it would. A lot happens within Bag of Bones. If you desire, pick it back up again and read on. You might be surprised at the adventures, mysteries, happening that await you.

I'd give it a 9.5. It's in my top three and I think you'd be well served to try it again. It's quite a scary, albeit subtle, ghost story.

It's a good read. I'd rate it about 6.5, but that's because the ending didn't sit well with me. (I can't comment further without giving part of it away.)
    The mini-series with Pierce Brosnan was well done, better than average considering that Mick Garris directed.

I've enjoyed other SK books more, but this is still well worth the time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darkening View Post
    This took ages to get into and it was fairly slow going, like Under The Dome and I eventually gave up. Other books since have been faster paced from the start and I'm wondering if this one is just as good but just a little slower at first. Where would you guys rate Bag of Bones on the 1-10 scale?
    Bag of Bones will always be one of my favorites. It's a superior ghost story with unusual surprises. It's deep and very scary. I didn't find it slow to get into, but I never find any sK that way. I rate Bag of Bones a 10.

I give it an 8. I agree with spideyman. Sometimes I start reading a book, can't get into it put it away and then pick it up at another time and can't stop reading. It all depends on your mood.

i would give it a very solid 8...maybe even an 8.5: i put it solidly among the better novels, but not quite near the top...altogether a quite hauntingly effective ghost story

it does start out methodically...but like so many of his books that center on just a few characters (Duma Key, Liseys Story), that worked well for me

i'd agree with lil'...the end, for me, left a little to be desired...but many of kings works have that sort of problem for me...It, Duma Key and Under The Dome (which is really, really good...you should retry it sometime) all come to mind with that sort of thing

the sarge has the ultimate bit o' wisdom, tho...that sort of thing has happened with me, not only with king, but others as well...

....a 6...and that's after reading it several times, and getting a better feel for all the nuances...

my first post, so sorry if i mess it up, but i'd give it 9. it is an unusual read, but def worth trying again. i like the reflective narrator and the his view of the world. reminded me in ways of Ben Mears in salem's lot, only an older form!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast