Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
A moment of your time please.

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A moment of your time please.

Default A moment of your time please.

From a facebook friend: (you'll have to click play at the bottom) . . .may not work for everyone.

Mohd Fudzail:
    This film should be seen by the entire world!

This video is about an island in the ocean at 2000 km from any other coast line. Nobody lives, only birds and yet, you will not believe what you will see here.

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed..." height="720"

Default Re: A moment of your time please.

Sad, but it's an important reminder that we need to be better stewards of the earth. Thanks Madam.

The emotions that flow right now can not be described. How much of this planet called earth needs to be destroyed before we wake up. My heart, spirit and soul ache for those magnificent birds. I do hope the world views this..... but will they learn, will their eyes be opened..........

hu·man be·ing
    Noun
    A man, woman, or child of the species Homo sapiens, distinguished from other animals by superior mental development, power of articulate... and power to destroy.

Disgusting! I have researched this subject myself for an essay...

Globally, at the present, we use about 600 billion pounds of plastic annually among a growing market. In 2009 Americans used 102 billion plastic shopping bags. Bacteria and fungi are no match for plastic molecules which are too large for the microbes to digest. That is why plastic trash keeps the shapes and colors for as long as they do. Plastic does not biodegrade easily but it does photodegrade, that is, sunlight rays seperate the molecular bonds in the polymers turning the material brittle and causing the material to break up into small and sometimes microscopic pieces. Plastic trash is swept through storm drains and out to sea. The plastic, including large amounts dumped into oceans, have created these (digestive) problems for sea mammals and birds. It is also the reason whales and dolphins strand themselves on beaches committing suicide avoiding an even slower and more painful death.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Yes, this.

So what you're really trying to say here is birds shouldn't eat plastic and trash...

Yeah, yeah... I know the way out...

NY State law requires large retail stores and shopping malls, and medium to large chain stores, to accept clean plastic bags for recycling. That said, I've never seen a place to recycle plastic bags in NYC. I'd like to see something like Dublin did here in NYC. That would make an amazing difference... and it would give New Yorkers something else to complain about (Language warning, NSFW?) .

Jordan

StephenKing.com Webmaster

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems.
    Rene Descartes
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I can feel the emoticons flowing...

Midway Atoll, in common with all the Hawaiian Islands, receives substantial amounts of marine debris from the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. Consisting of ninety percent plastic, this debris accumulates on the beaches of Midway. This garbage represents a hazard to the bird population of the island. Of the 1.5 million Laysan Albatrosses that inhabit Midway, nearly all are found to have plastic in their digestive system.[26] Approximately one-third of the chicks die.[27]

...horrid, just horrid....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast