This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Riding the Bullet to room 1408 because Everything's Eventual *SPOILERS*

Default Riding the Bullet to room 1408 because Everything's Eventual *SPOILERS*

I couldn't resist commenting on Everything's Eventual, one of many Stephen King collections I own. Thinking of camping out in room 1408? Heed Mr. Olin's warning and don't do it! Mike Enslin, the main character, chooses to ignore Mr. Olin's advice and sleep in the room overnight, even after repeated warnings and tales of suicides in the room over the years. Then Mike comes to realize that Mr. Olin was right about the time the walls begin to melt and a smell like a lion-house permeates the room. Where did the Great Stephen King come up with this? It's brilliant!! You can almost see the monster approaching, an apparition which affects Mike to the point he sets his own shirt on fire to try to escape the something which was fast approaching!
    Riding The Bullet is just as good. Alan gets word that his mother is ill and hitchhikes his way to her bedside. He accepts a ride from George Staub, whose Mustang is one fast machine. Too fast, as Alan finds out. They reminisce about riding the Bullet, a carnival ride, and then George Staub reminisces about what happened to him and his fast Mustang on the day George rode the Bullet, what he really is, and about the awful life-changing (life-ending?) decision Alan must make. And who can forget That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is In French? Here, you have Bill and Carol Shelton, flying to Florida for their second honeymoon! Only Carol gets the feeling she's been here before...then the story gets sinister as Carol slowly realizes what is going to happen to them-again! And by the way, who's Floyd?
    My absolute favorite was Everything's Eventual, about Dinky, the pizza-delivery guy who works at the local Supr Savr and who has a very special talent. A talent the grocery store bully, Skipper, discovers when he picks on Dinky one too many times. And the line his friend Pug says: Yippy-ti-yi-yo, get along little shopping cart! Hilarious!! Dinky is hired by Mr. Sharpton, who knows about Dinky's special talent, to turn on the bullies of the world. Dinky accepts, especially since Mr. Sharpton knows what happened to Skipper. He is given a house, a new car, but must lead a cashless existence. In the end Mr. Sharpton finds out what happens when you push your employees too far.
    Now...what are you doing sitting there and reading this post when you could be reading a copy of Everything's Eventual?

Default Re: Riding the Bullet to room 1408 because Everything's Eventual

Now...what are you doing sitting there and reading this post when you could be reading a copy of Everything's Eventual?
    ...I think I just did...

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...I think I just did...
    I was thinking it's a good thing that I've already read it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ericw View Post
    I couldn't resist commenting on Everything's Eventual, one of many Stephen King collections I own. Thinking of camping out in room 1408? Heed Mr. Olin's warning and don't do it! Mike Enslin, the main character, chooses to ignore Mr. Olin's advice and sleep in the room overnight, even after repeated warnings and tales of suicides in the room over the years. Then Mike comes to realize that Mr. Olin was right about the time the walls begin to melt and a smell like a lion-house permeates the room. Where did the Great Stephen King come up with this? It's brilliant!! You can almost see the monster approaching, an apparition which affects Mike to the point he sets his own shirt on fire to try to escape the something which was fast approaching!
    Riding The Bullet is just as good. Alan gets word that his mother is ill and hitchhikes his way to her bedside. He accepts a ride from George Staub, whose Mustang is one fast machine. Too fast, as Alan finds out. They reminisce about riding the Bullet, a carnival ride, and then George Staub reminisces about what happened to him and his fast Mustang on the day George rode the Bullet, what he really is, and about the awful life-changing (life-ending?) decision Alan must make. And who can forget That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is In French? Here, you have Bill and Carol Shelton, flying to Florida for their second honeymoon! Only Carol gets the feeling she's been here before...then the story gets sinister as Carol slowly realizes what is going to happen to them-again! And by the way, who's Floyd?
    My absolute favorite was Everything's Eventual, about Dinky, the pizza-delivery guy who works at the local Supr Savr and who has a very special talent. A talent the grocery store bully, Skipper, discovers when he picks on Dinky one too many times. And the line his friend Pug says: Yippy-ti-yi-yo, get along little shopping cart! Hilarious!! Dinky is hired by Mr. Sharpton, who knows about Dinky's special talent, to turn on the bullies of the world. Dinky accepts, especially since Mr. Sharpton knows what happened to Skipper. He is given a house, a new car, but must lead a cashless existence. In the end Mr. Sharpton finds out what happens when you push your employees too far.
    Brilliant use of the SPOILER button. Not.
    Now I'll be cranky for those who haven't read Everything's Eventual for the rest of the day.

One of my fave collection of his...That feeling what you can only say what it is in French I find the scariest. A brilliant collection of tales.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Sawyer View Post
    Brilliant use of the SPOILER button. Not.
    Now I'll be cranky for those who haven't read Everything's Eventual for the rest of the day.
    Have added Spoilers to title of the thread.

Ms. Mod:
    I apologize for spreading it on so thick! I did get a tad overenthusiastic, but I love to write and Everything's Eventual really is a great collection!
    -Eric W.

Default Re: Riding the Bullet to room 1408 because Everything's Eventual *SPOILERS*

Quote Originally Posted by Ericw View Post
    Nice to hear you enjoyed it so much....I really like the ones you mentioned along with Autopsy Room Four, Luckey Quarter, and The Road Virus Heads North.