This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just finished!

Exclamation Just finished!

I finished the Stand last thursday. It took me 11 days to read it. But what a book! I really enjoyed it however I felt the end of book 2 dragged a little with the committee hearings and all. Although I can understand how King found these chapters necessary to prove people have the potential to re-form a democracy in even the most dire circumstances.

Overall I give it 8 out of 10 stars. I can see why many consider it to be King's magnum opus.

Default Re: Just finished!

....his Manum Opus is the Dark Tower series, but it IS a landmark tale for sure...

8/10 you need to have your head checked sir. Giving one of kings greatest works a 80 percent. Also very uninformed its not his Magnus opsus. Sorry if you were offended that's my opinion..

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ....his Manum Opus is the Dark Tower series, but it IS a landmark tale for sure...
    ...note to self....spell-check ya nutjob!....Magnum...anyone needs me, I'll be at the chalkboard writing it 100 times...

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterloper View Post
    8/10 you need to have your head checked sir. Giving one of kings greatest works a 80 percent. Also very uninformed its not his Magnus opsus. Sorry if you were offended that's my opinion..
    ...seriously young'un?....there ya go bein' all offensive and stuff...it's an opinion-just because it doesn't coincide with yours, does not make it any less valid...and apologizing is ridiculous....don't offend in the first place...and btw, you can render your "opinion" without being inappropriate....

Although I agree that The Dark Tower series are the central books of King's Magnum opus. I also do not think it particularly difficult or too far a stretch to include The Stand as an DT book. There are a number of others that could easily be number x.x in the series and considered part of the Magnum opus by default. But either way now that I type it out and consider it further you still need to consider all parts of the whole for rating of a Magnum opus. So either way The Stand stands not alone as the Magnum opus.

Ahhhh, I love The Stand! I think I'm in the minority on the group meetings and whatnot - I thought they were interesting, but most people I've talked to didn't like those parts. The only thing that keeps The Stand from being THE perfect book is Mother Abigail...

Quote Originally Posted by AchtungBaby View Post
    Ahhhh, I love The Stand! I think I'm in the minority on the group meetings and whatnot - I thought they were interesting, but most people I've talked to didn't like those parts. The only thing that keeps The Stand from being THE perfect book is Mother Abigail...
    ...without her...it would be rather lop-sided don't ya think?.....like her or not...

...without her...it would be rather lop-sided don't ya think?.....like her or not...
    Yeah, I know... It's just...sometimes she is a little too perfect. And at times, she seems very self-righteous...or maybe that's just me. I dunno. I preferred reading about RF for sure - not sure what that says about me!

....his Magnum Opus is the Dark Tower series, but it IS a landmark tale for sure...
    Agreed, DT series is considered sK's magnum opus. Overall, I think The Stand might be his most beloved novel, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast