Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Argo and Ken Taylor.................

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Argo and Ken Taylor.................

Default Argo and Ken Taylor.................

Default Re: Argo and Ken Taylor.................

personally, I consider the movie a slap in the face of all Canadians. the fact that it debuted at TIFF is the salt they put on their hand before slapping us.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaMarie View Post
    personally, I consider the movie a slap in the face of all Canadians. the fact that it debuted at TIFF is the salt they put on their hand before slapping us.
    I'm honestly confused as to why you would feel that way. I remember hearing at the time that the Canadians had facilitated the escape but do not remember hearing anything about the extent to which they were involved until the movie came out. I truly had the impression that the movie showed how much they put themselves in danger by harboring the Americans and had a new appreciation of the extent they went to protect them. My guess is that because of the movie there are now many more Americans who will know how brave Ken Taylor and his family were than would have had it not been released and that premiering it in Canada was intended as an homage to their bravery and acknowledgement of the huge risks they took, not a slap in the face. JMO

Ken Taylor was pretty miffed about the film after it screened at TIFF and contacted Affleck to have a title card added to the end emphasizing Canada's involvement, which Affleck did. As Carter says in the video, he thinks the film minimizes Canada's involvement. It makes it seem, for example, that the CIA provided the documents to get the six out of Iran when in fact Canada had to sit a special and secret session of Parliament to approve the creation of fake passports, something which is otherwise illegal.

Taylor reiterated his displeasure before the Oscars, hoping Affleck would set the record straight if the film won. Of course, given the limited amount of time winners have to thank everyone, all he could do was mention Canada in passing. Taylor, however, thought that was sufficient. We Canadians are easy to please!

Thanks, Bev. That helps me understand the Canadian perspective better. I realize it's Hollywood and they think we need to have even more drama but think it's too bad they also misrepresented the escape at the end. If this is supposed to be a dramatization of factual events, they should stick to the facts.

They also completely wrote out Zena and John Sheardown. And rather then basing the story on what the hostages said happened....it was based on what the CIA guy wrote in his book.

When it happened, the USA was very thankful and appreciative. They flew the Canadian flag, they put "Thank you Canada" on billboards. They offered free trips to Canadians...food, lodging, and a few of friends that went through the US, when they stopped for gas, US citizens would see their plate, and pay for a tank of gas for them.