Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
ROLAND-You gotta read this!

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ROLAND-You gotta read this!

Default ROLAND-You gotta read this!

I am a "constant reader" My son who is going through Army Ranger school and I both are. He sent me a letter just before he left for the 3rd phase, swamp it's called, in Florida. I will quote his letter because he writes much better than I do.

There were 31 recycles in the formation. I stood at attention waiting for my name to be called. The SSG said "Listen up men. I'm gonna give you a new roster number now, you know you're all six series now, right? Anyway, just listen up." He finished half the numbers and I became certain that, and hopeful of, the idea I would be assigned No. 619. Than number of power came and went. I sounded off with my name and six twenty four.
    I took out my sharpie and wrote down my number that would be my identity for the next seven weeks. I was disappointed that it had not been 619. I put away my sharpie and notepad and returned to the position of parade rest. I dropped my head, I kicked the sandy ground. As I did this I noticed a strip of ACU pattern cloth emerge from the soil. It was a name tape. It was wet and nearly covered with mud. I kicked again and some of the mud fell away. I kicked again and the name tape flipped over. I picked it up and began to brush it off. I smiled. ROLAND it read. The Ranger student next to me looked down at my hands and then back up to my eyes, curioius. "My mother and I read the same books" I said. "Dark Tower" he said.
    He ended the letter with -I just wanted to relay these few experiences to you in a way I wouldn't be able to over the phone. Hang on to that name tape for me.
    I have been struggling to find a fitting gift for his Ranger graduation ceremony. Now, I have a wonderful idea, but don't know how to go about it. I have, after all the perfect bookmark (the name tape) if only I knew if it is possible to get a signed copy of the Gunslinger???? Anybody have helpful ideas or suggestions??? This would be too perfect for words. I need to get this done. Graduation is on March 8th. HELP!

Default Re: ROLAND-You gotta read this!

Steve's going to be on the set for Under the Dome most of this week so being able to get this done in time for you would be difficult even if he is agreeable to making an exception so can't make any promises, but will see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Steve's going to be on the set for Under the Dome most of this week so being able to get this done in time for you would be difficult even if he is agreeable to making an exception so can't make any promises, but will see what I can do.
    Ain't she a nice Mod? -This is why we love you.

I really, really hope this works out for you. What a great parent!

My mom and I are both fans and she'd NEVER do this so I think you deserve some good karma!

If you can't get it signed and just want to find a cool rare copy of the Gunslinger, I highly recommend Dave at Bett's Books. I know plenty others here would back that up as well!

Hope to see you around the board!

I've heard back from Steve and am sending you a PM, Dodger. Let me know if you don't find it.

...our Main(e) Man and the true sweet soul of the Board..Ms. Marsha, will make small miracles happen...and please thank your son for his service...

Oh my God, friends and neighbors! I thought I was sending this out to the universe, but didn't get my hopes up. I knew if nothing else King fans would love the story. I'm not techy or very social media savy so bear with me. Thank you for the positive responses. As a mother, the whole Army Ranger training is almost more than I want to know about at times, so Roland and gang are a nice diversion. It has always felt like these books that I love were written just for me. You probably all feel the same way. So when my son became a convert it was a great bonus. I can tell him "long days and pleasant nights" and he gets it. I AM SO GIDDY! Thank you, thank you, thank you. Everyone I know will soon be hearing about this. Shasta, I know your momma would do this, or anything else she could for you. DODGER
    p.s. So very happy to hear the Dome is coming, love that one too.

Marsh, you and Steve amaze me. Reading this thread has really made my day. maybe my month.

Dodger, thank your son for us.

I too have a strange story to tell.

only the other day i was finally convincing my wife to read the first in the long journey of DTs. she reluctantly began to read it in the study while i retired to the shed to retrieve my spade for a spot of gardening. I began to dig down around the roots of the hedge i was trying to pull from its roots when something pinged in my back and i froze in pain. I ended up on my hands and knees and crawled back to the shed too await my impending death.

As I waited for the "Death rattle" in the sauna like shed I noticed a book tucked under the work bench, cob-webbed and long forgotten. I reached underneath the table and pulled out a copy of "everything's eventual" and thumbed through it.

AND WHAT DID I FIND? only another chapter in the DT tale- the little sisters of eluria!!!!

So mis mod, i reckon this too is a sign from long tall and ugly himself telling me I really need to get this signed for posterity as a wonderful dinner table anecdote.

PS my back is on the mend - but i reckon i need something as a little pick me up.

Nice try, Sheemie, but no cigar.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast