This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stephen Kings sobriety Date !

Question Stephen Kings sobriety Date !

I can not figg' out when exactly Sai King got sober .
    Id like to know what year. and if there was an
    " incident " that lead to him putting the cork bacj in
    and leaving it in.(commonly known as bottoming out)

Mr. King has never hidden his alcoholism, but he doesnt say
    a whole lot about getting sober either, its tricky for celebs.
    you are not really 'sposed to talk about it.

No celeb should ever become the "poster child" for recovery .
    Its one of AA's highest traditions /

I just wanna know what year it was .

Default Re: Stephen Kings sobriety Date !

Without doing more research to get confirmation, 99.9% sure it was 1986 and it was a family intervention that got him into rehab. He talks about that a little in On Writing.

According to Wikipedia...

King's alcohol and drug addictions were so serious during the 1980s that, as he acknowledged in On Writing in 2000, he can barely remember writing Cujo. Shortly after the novel's publication King's family and friends staged an intervention, dumping evidence of his addictions taken from his office including beer cans, cigarette butts, grams of cocaine, Xanax, Valium, NyQuil, dextromethorphan (cough medicine) and marijuana, on the rug in front of him. As King related in his memoir he then sought help, quit all forms of drugs and alcohol in the late 1980s, and has remained sober since. The first novel he wrote after quitting drugs and alcohol was Needful Things.
    Wikipedia reference-linkStephen King

...instead of dealing in lead, Master Tiny deals in minutiae...

I think he finally got the hint when Tabby grabbed the rolling pin. She gave him a clout and turned his petticoat inside out.

I doubt that a former alcoholic or drug addict likes to be reminded of castaway days perhaps bringing back ugly memories and sad times for the entire family. As blunthead shows, if you really need to soothe your curiosity, Tiny, and find out what year Stephen got a grip on his addictions then google it. Who wants to be embarrassed on his own international site by his own fans twenty years later for mistakes that almost cost him his family and perhaps more?

No offence, just my opinion.

JMO, but I think he brings it up in the hope that his publicly acknowledging he had a serious problem and has been able to kick the addiction will be of help to others who are in that situation and give them hope that they, too, can get sober. If he was that embarrassed by the past, he wouldn't have written about it in On Writing or answered questions in interviews about his addictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    JMO, but I think he brings it up in the hope that his publicly acknowledging he had a serious problem and has been able to kick the addiction will be of help to others who are in that situation and give them hope that they, too, can get sober. If he was that embarrassed by the past, he wouldn't have written about it in On Writing or answered questions in interviews about his addictions.
    ...and he certainly never sugar-coated his problems...mouthwash, yeccch!......

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Ayko View Post
    I doubt that a former alcoholic or drug addict likes to be reminded of castaway days perhaps bringing back ugly memories and sad times for the entire family. As blunthead shows, if you really need to soothe your curiosity, Tiny, and find out what year Stephen got a grip on his addictions then google it. Who wants to be embarrassed on his own international site by his own fans twenty years later for mistakes that almost cost him his family and perhaps more?

Ex mean azzz drunk here, and I could give a hoot who knows it, butt then I'm still a giamongous butthead asspatthehat (eh, it's like a gift), so I reckon that might just mean I don't have to pee nearly as much.
    I mean I don't owe anybody an apology or an explanation, and anyone I may have needed to make amends, I already apologized to..well okay, let's go with, probably have, I mean I was a drunk duh-uh...but you know somethin', folks'll let ya know oh yes they will they will, and in no freakin' uncertain terms neither if ya do need to fess up and make things right, and that's between you & them, maybe ya just might have to trust me on that one.
    And ya know somethin' else, I think us folks what aren't bothered a lick by other folks knowin' what kind of too much fun we've had in our more glory(less) days, we probably aren't at nearly as great of a risk in fallin' back into it as a lifestyle, seriously.
    Who really cares, or should, is what I'm sayin'...um, okay, like I can totally explain that Polaroid of me in that ssssmokin' pink chiffon prom dress, honest!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayko View Post

I didn't include the Wikipedia per the initiation of sK's recovery with a view to correcting anyone. I think Steve thinks recovery is not something to be ashamed of, and I also think it's huge of him, and not surprisingly honest, to remind the world that there's hope, especially when he can be such an example of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast