This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Stand and The Walking Dead

Default The Stand and The Walking Dead

The Walking Dead is in the middle of it's 3rd season. It's my favorite show currently on TV. But I can't escape the thought that it resembles The Stand in more than one way. Society has been wiped out by a flu and the dictator of the evil people, The Governor seems to me to be Randall Flagg lite. Does anyone have any other thoughts on this and how do you think Stephen King feel about this series?

Default Re: The Stand and The Walking Dead

....the 'bies need cell phones...then there'd be a tie-in to another nook of the King neighborhood...plus, I've read where he was/is fascinated by the series, but have never seen where he felt it was an homage to The Stand...

I can see a few vague similarities, but in my opinion, they are more different than alike.
    The virus on the Walking Dead isn't really a flu....and early in the series the doctor at the CDC tells Rick

that everyone is infected...that is what he whispers to Rick as the group leaves the CDC
    . I also don't see everyone living in Woodberry as being evil.....they are by and large trusting self centered control freak to lead them and keep them safe. People in all of the surviving groups have been known to turn on each other in The Walking Dead, and

Rick is now mad as a hatter, and members of his own group are now bickering among themselves
    . I think the zombies make an interesting backdrop for what I perceive as a very interesting statement about human behavior.....and it's not really not too far off the mark.

I've yet to watch this show, actually.... That needs to change.

Quote Originally Posted by AchtungBaby View Post
    I've yet to watch this show, actually.... That needs to change.
    The first two seasons are on Netflix, and I think you can catch up on season three fairly quickly....Highly recommend starting at the beginning.

While I have watched and enjoyed The Walking Dead and most definitely get The Stand vibe, they really are diffeent stories.

I dont get cable (think thats what its on) so I have to get the dvds when I can. So far only have season one WD so got a lot to catch up on. I dont think its that similar to the Stand. just lots of dead(undead) laying around. I used to laugh at the stupid idea of zombies until I saw that film of a guy under influence of bath salts eating a mans face off....I dont laugh about it anymore.

mee too thats Im thinking it has some similarity with the Stand

Like others, I can see some surface similarities, mostly based on the idea of surviving in an apocalyptic landscape. But that's where the similarities end, as far as I'm concerned.

Cool Re: The Stand and The Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by bryantburnette View Post
    Like others, I can see some surface similarities, mostly based on the idea of surviving in an apocalyptic landscape. But that's where the similarities end, as far as I'm concerned.

I do sort of get what you mean, and its quite logical considering its Frank Darabont who was involved in the Walking Dead.

The only real "Stand Vibe" I get is the "end of days" scenario and also the abandoned cars etc............to be honest I saw more similarities with "Cell" because in the Walking Dead we are now starting to hear

that the condition could be improving
    - and it was a similar scenario at the end of "Cell".

Whatever the case, the Walking Dead is a fantastic series, and a credit to Frank Darabont.

I can imagine that it would be Stephens "thing"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast