This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Bailey O'Neill

Default R.I.P. Bailey O'Neill

Another victim of bullying in school. When will this ever, ever end????

Bailey O'Neill, 12, began experiencing seizures after he was attacked at school last month. After being placed in a medically induced coma, he was taken off of life support Sunday night.

A young bullying victim in a medically induced coma died Sunday, the Philadelphia Inquirer reports.

Bailey O'Neill, who turned 12 last week, was placed on life support after suffering seizures following a schoolyard attack.

His parents said he was harassed by two boys during a school recess at the Darby Township School in Delaware County, Penn., on Jan. 10.

After verbally abusing O'Neill, one of the boys punched him in the face, breaking his nose and giving him a concussion.

O'Neill was taken to the hospital following the incident and released, but began suffering seizures the next day, forcing doctors to put him in a medically induced coma. While comatose, O'Neill developed pneumonia and doctors gave him a blood transfusion, NBC News reports.

On a Facebook support page for O'Neill named "Prayers for Bailey O'Neill," administrators regularly prayed for the boy's recovery and gave the page's followers (3,000 as of Monday morning) small updates on his health.

12-year-old Pennsylvania boy dies after alleged bullying incident

1 day ago1:06Views: 1k
    "Today Bailey was able to squeeze my hand. It really made my day. Thanks for the continued prayers and thoughts," Robert O'Neill, the boy's father, wrote on Feb. 27.

Last night, page administrators announced O'Neill's passing with a pledge to continue fighting school bullying.

"First of all I want to say the battle isn't over we will remember Bailey always and we will continue this fight until Bullying is eradicated. With the heaviest heart we want to inform you all that Bailey has gone to be with the Lord please, please, please continue to pray for his family and continue on this fight for us until no child ever has to face a situation like this again. God Bless You all thank you so much!" they wrote.

O'Neill's death was confirmed by the Southeast Delco School District, where he was a sixth-grader.

"Our school community is deeply saddened by this loss," Stephen Butz, district superintendent wrote in a statement this morning. "Our condolences are with Bailey's family and friends during this very difficult time."

The two students who attacked Bailey were suspended from school for two days but not criminally charged. Delaware County District Attorney Jack Whelan told NBC News that authorities are investigating if O'Neill's seizures were brought about by injuries he received in the schoolyard attack. They've interviewed students who were at the school recess and have looked over surveillance images.

O'Neill's family has set up an online fundraiser to help cover his funeral costs. His younger brother was removed from school when his parents became concerned that he would also be bullied.

MSN News on Facebook and Twitter

Default Re: R.I.P. Bailey O'Neill

Here's what young Bailey looked like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bailey.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	17003

So young.............so young....................

RIP

May he rest in peace. Prayers for the parents and friends. Opening eyes to the issue of bullying!!!!!

The kid who hit him should go to jail. Forever.

This is so sad May the little boy rest in peace.
    Here in this country is lot of bullying in schools as well. And seems like no one, not even the
    teachers open their eyes to see what happening. And all poor children that are bullied have to
    stand that out every day. Why tell me Why. It's so wrong. I've been in same situation in junior high with my
    friend when our others classmates bullied us. Prayers goes out to parents and friends of the 12-year old.

...bullying is pain that never dies, is never forgotten, never forgiven...

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    The kid who hit him should go to jail. Forever.
    But he won't. That's the maddening part.

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo87 View Post
    And seems like no one, not even the
    teachers open their eyes to see what happening.
    I think it's a tougher solution than that. I had a fantastic teacher in middle school who noticed I was being bullied and called the girl's parents. I found out much later in life from my dad that this family went to the school and told the principal that she was choosing favorites and that she didn't know both sides and she liked me more just because I was her student. When she said that she saw this other girl pushing me to start a fight they said I actually hit her first and that she was just defending herself. They said the only reason I ran away was because I suddenly saw her watching. Needless to say, none of this was true but because she didn't have any proof she was told to back off by the school.

Bullies will never change until their parents take responsibility and, unfortunately, we live in a society where this just isn't likely to happen. I think a lot of these kids have parents who are bullies themselves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast