This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any book recommendations?

Default Any book recommendations?

I'm currently about to read Beautiful Creatures, which may be the typical cliche novel to some of you. (it's about a witch, or caster, that apparently curses this boy in love with her.) I'm also reading a book called, "The Fault in Our Stars", which is about a girl that is going through Stage IV Tyroid Cancer. So, any books you would recommend?

and by the way (may be getting off topic) , if you saw my previous post.. you saw that I'm currently in the process of writing a Horror story. If you are interested in that.. I can private message you!

Default Re: Any book recommendations?

...try Joe Hill...

....or Dean Koontz...

G and J (yeah, I just called you guys by the first initial of your usernames...) are both spot-on...Hill and Koontz have written some excellent novels. I'd also recommend Ted Dekker, if you don't mind Christian-based thrillers. I remember you said in your introduction post you've only read IT and Cujo (I think?) by SK? Check out some more of his books. If you didn't mind the length of IT, then go for The Stand. It's fan-freakin'-tastic.

...I am an avid Koontz reader as well, but I didn't mention him this time, coz whenever I do it incites the rest to treat me like a pane of glass in a monkey cage that gets poo flung at it....

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...I am an avid Koontz reader as well, but I didn't mention him this time, coz whenever I do it incites the rest to treat me like a pane of glass in a monkey cage that gets poo flung at it....
    That is so not true! Now, I hope you have been practicing your ducking skills as my hands are full.........

Neil Gaiman. I'll admit to being a fangirl. Neverwhere and The Graveyard Book are fast, fun reads.

I am also going to reccommend a book I haven't read Dreams and Shadows by C. Robert Cargill. I'm going to pick it up in a few days to read on the flight to my parent's house, but it sounds like a really interesting novel.

Daniel Woodrell...his stories have a kind of poetry not found in other stories.
    Spooner...Pete Dexter...when in need of comedic relief
    An Adultery...Alexander Theroux...a heavy-weight though few read him
    Charles Willeford...more comedic relief...he has this great line in one of his: thinking, when you first try it, is very difficult.
    Look Homward Angel, Wolfe...he has this section where his protag imagines things...cue the soundtrack, buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight!
    I call these sort of things time-passages and they are neato when one comes across them...I've seen the same in Elmore Leonard, where one of his female protags has an extended imaginary dialogue with her father...
    A Hell of a Woman...Jim Thompson...think Desperation...a kind of horror
    From Here to Eternity...James Jones
    Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me...Richard Farina...if you liked Hearts, this is another in the same vein

CCRider529 Guest

I just finished 'Whispers' by Dean Koontz, and that book was hard to put down!
    I also love James Patterson.

Quote Originally Posted by CCRider529 View Post
    I just finished 'Whispers' by Dean Koontz, and that book was hard to put down!
    I also love James Patterson.
    Whispers was the 1st Koontz book I ever read and, you're right, it's a page turner!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast