This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Hi! I'm new here!

Default Hi! I'm new here!

Hello everyone and fellow Stephen King fans!

My name is David, and I am new to this forum. I must start by telling you a little bit about myself. I am an aspiring author currently attending college in California, and I want to someday be known for being the author of countless short stories, novelettes, novellas, poems, even plays; and not to mention, non-fiction books on various interests and subject matters. I have been dreaming of becoming a full-time author ever since I was about seven years of age, when I read Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow". I know, one might think that I would be far too young to read a story like that, but, like with Mr. King and that collection THE LURKER IN THE SHADOWS by H.P. Lovecraft, I also knew I found home, once I'd read "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow". Also, when I was about seven or so, I had written my own adaptation of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" - and my mother was amazed when she saw how well I used my grammar and punctuation (no, not a lot of children at my elementary school were as great learners, readers, and writers as I was).

You're probably wondering about my username too: "acoffeepotandatypewriter". That name came to me because of the fact that I love to have coffee, and I first learned how to type on a typewriter. Now that I'm older and a very independent young man, I write my stories on a laptop; but another reason why I went by "a coffeepot and a typewriter" was because I thought it sounded catchy, and old-fashioned, like the way I really am myself.

Anyway, as I said, I'm new here, and I should probably mention that Stephen King is one of my top favorite authors. I have read some of his short stories (like I said, that's what I'm into), and I loved all the ones I've read; however, I will find time to read the rest of them. My favorite so far is his novella "The Body", and I also enjoy "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption". Has he inspired me to one day write short stories? Of course. I look forward to reading more of Stephen King's short stories as the years go by. I want to someday even read his old ones that he has never published in a book. I've seen a big list of them, does anyone know if he will publish them in a book someday? I just hope he does.

Well, as for me, as a writer of mainly short stories, I will say I'm inspired by just about every author who has written at least one short story. I have discovered hundreds of authors and thousands of stories this year, and I even enjoy collecting those edited by anthologies you can get at Barnes & Noble, as well as collections of stories by just one particular author. My idea of writing short stories all the time came from a teacher I had in high school after he had me read Ray Bradbury's "All Summer in a Day" and "I See You Never"; after I read those, I read more of Ray Bradbury's stories, and I found myself hooked on the idea of writing short stories.

Also, I will mention that every once in a while, I might just as well post excerpts of stories I'll be writing, and one day, I shall have my first collection of short stories published. I have come a long way from being the shy school boy I once was, but I have no intention to stop writing stories and poems. I might just as well post some poems on here for you all to see, if that's okay, along with the excerpts of short stories, novellas, etc.

I am also in the middle of creating a blogging site, and I will have a Twitter, Facebook, and even a MySpace account to go along with having accounts on author websites where I can post interesting stuff.
    Well, that's all folks. I have to go now, but in the meantime, I hope to hear from you all soon. I'm looking forward to meeting more Stephen King fans like myself, but in general, just people who love to read as well as write like myself. I look forward to discussing what I think about Mr. King's stories along with you fellow fans too. Thank you all for being so awesome, you shall hear from me again as soon as possible. I'll be coming back on here from time to time to see what you have to say about what I have to say. Thank you again!

Default Re: Hi! I'm new here!

Also, if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask. I don't bite...hard. *laughs* I'm just kidding. I'm rather friendly and won't do a thing to hurt anyone or anything.

Need to make sure you're aware that we have rules against self-promotion--this is the official site to promote Stephen's work, not that of other authors. Discussing other authors and suggesting books is encouraged but crossing the line into self-promotion is not allowed.

...I can remember being in college.....OK, sort-of....

Welcome to the board! The Body and Shawshank Redemption are not only two of his best short stories, they're two of his best works ever. Hopefully you've seen both movies based off the stories, both are great.

Welcome and have fun here. Check the groups out. Once you hit 10 posts on the board, you can participate in groups, some of which are for writing and poetry.

What is your all time favorite book?

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...I can remember being in college.....OK, sort-of....
    I remember college. My freshman year was the best 4 years of my life.

a haunted,drafty balcony overseeing my kingdom...waiting for my King...

Welcome to the SKMB, Coffeepot! I hope to see you posting more and hopefully see you in the social groups sometime soon.

Welcome, and don't eat the last cookie, it's a trap.

Quote Originally Posted by tenngolfer View Post
    Welcome, and don't eat the last cookie, it's a trap.
    ...that's MY damn cookie...sooner they learn cookies=Giant the better for em...