This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: on writing

Default on writing

thank you Stephen for finishing this wonderfully (adverb..lol) helpful book, although i felt it was more of a personal letter that you wrote directly to me. I can't help but wonder if your accident somehow refined and defined the message you were trying to convey. I felt like we were in the same room and you were talking to me. I read the entire work in one 9 hour sitting. I couldn't put it down. I've written all my life, poems and short stories, nothing published but can't help but wonder if that writing may be my true calling? Apparently I'm not much good at anything else.I lost a million dollar business that i created from scratch over 20 years ago.Actually it was stolen but that's another story. Suffice is it to say that i went from wealthy to welfare in a very short period of time. I have remained on welfare for 4 years and i don't like it. The problem is ....that it's very hard to start over when your 50. I trusted the wrong people and as the saying goes "nice guys finish last". The story i wish to write is " a journey to skid row". I know there are a lot of rags to riches stories, but fewer of the reverse. Usually people don't take to the pen when there life is falling apart. An exception being General Grant who I've heard regained his lost riches by writing his memoirs. I'd like to follow his lead. Fortunately this experience has left me with some great characters, plots, and a wonderful story that could warn future generations of the pitfalls of success. As well as the fragility of it. Apparently all I had really created was a house of cards. My question to you Mr. King is this... In a world where reality TV has become the norm, can a novel written in the 1st person stand a chance, or should I rewrite and refer to myself (main character) as he and him? Thank you for not giving up on your writing....Sincerely Lindsay McQueen

Default Re: on writing

Hi Lindsay,

Welcome to the board. Stephen does read the board from time to time, but doesn't respond to members directly. Please see the Message Board FAQ here.
    Perhaps other members could offer you some advice?
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

...I, for one enjoy a well scribbled first peron narrative...and I wish you nothing but luck on the long claw back...you obviously have the smarts to do it, or wouldn't have been able to run a company or keep yourself sane the last few years....go get 'im!!!...

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    thank you Stephen for finishing this wonderfully (adverb..lol) helpful book, although i felt it was more of a personal letter that you wrote directly to me. I can't help but wonder if your accident somehow refined and defined the message you were trying to convey. I felt like we were in the same room and you were talking to me. I read the entire work in one 9 hour sitting. I couldn't put it down. I've written all my life, poems and short stories, nothing published but can't help but wonder if that writing may be my true calling? Apparently I'm not much good at anything else.I lost a million dollar business that i created from scratch over 20 years ago.Actually it was stolen but that's another story. Suffice is it to say that i went from wealthy to welfare in a very short period of time. I have remained on welfare for 4 years and i don't like it. The problem is ....that it's very hard to start over when your 50. I trusted the wrong people and as the saying goes "nice guys finish last". The story i wish to write is " a journey to skid row". I know there are a lot of rags to riches stories, but fewer of the reverse. Usually people don't take to the pen when there life is falling apart. An exception being General Grant who I've heard regained his lost riches by writing his memoirs. I'd like to follow his lead. Fortunately this experience has left me with some great characters, plots, and a wonderful story that could warn future generations of the pitfalls of success. As well as the fragility of it. Apparently all I had really created was a house of cards. My question to you Mr. King is this... In a world where reality TV has become the norm, can a novel written in the 1st person stand a chance, or should I rewrite and refer to myself (main character) as he and him? Thank you for not giving up on your writing....Sincerely Lindsay McQueen
    Hi, Linz. I'm not Stephen King, nor am I a writer, but I feel I must encourage you to do something with your story. Since I don't have the personal experience of having written a story or memoir to completion I cannot advise specifically, but I think it's safe to say that if you feel you have writing talent, or even if you don't feel you do not, you should at least start a journal of your daily thoughts and feelings. This practice may at times give way to thoughts and feelings specific to the painful experiences you seem to want to make a story from. I believe in taking classes to help further my own skills, and if you can work such in I encourage you to look into it. Meanwhile, if nothing else, I believe you will find an outlet for the emotions your pain has created; maybe even a creative outlet.

I also encourage you to stick around here. When you've reached a total of ten Main Board posts you have access to the Social Groups, wherein you'll find lots of writing threads, writers, and those willing to offer support for and interest in your thoughts and feelings, not to mention advice on how to get help getting your story complete and out there where others need to hear it.

Good luck!

Also not Stephen King, but I do write in first person and love to read novels in first person. I really enjoy a good thriller where you are put into the characters brain. When it comes to a book based on your life experiences, I would suggest staying with what you feel comfortable writing.

I am a college reading teacher and have just started reading, On Writing. I love it, so much, in fact, that I am going to put it on the "required reading list" for my Fall classes. Thanks, Stephen King, for writing such an entertaining, helpful, and "down to earth" guide that will help them understand the "Reading/Writing Connection" that I am always talking about. Above all, your book is inspiring to those who are thinking about writing their first novel.

great book highly recommended to all non writers and readers of SK works

Thank you Stephen King. I felt like I really got to know you. You grew up so much like me. I even wrote my first story and sent it to the Alfred Hitchcock Magazine at age 12. But then life kind of got out of hand for me. I wish I could have kept the path but I did not. Any ole way, I had one recommended book and bought the other. I did the exercise. I'd like to post it somewhere. Is there a place? I had two friends read it. Watching their reactions was fun too. I will use them again if I have enough sense to keep going. They won't mind, I hope.
    Thank you again. Be well. Be safe. Be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Klekotka View Post
    Thank you Stephen King. I felt like I really got to know you. You grew up so much like me. I even wrote my first story and sent it to the Alfred Hitchcock Magazine at age 12. But then life kind of got out of hand for me. I wish I could have kept the path but I did not. Any ole way, I had one recommended book and bought the other. I did the exercise. I'd like to post it somewhere. Is there a place? I had two friends read it. Watching their reactions was fun too. I will use them again if I have enough sense to keep going. They won't mind, I hope.
    Hi there, I think you may have found the answer to your question in this thread. Once you've enough posts (and yes, these posts do count) you'll be able to join the social groups.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Klekotka View Post
    As mentioned in the Writing section of the FAQ, we aren't officially accepting submissions for the On Writing exercise anymore but as FlakeNoir mentioned, you can share them with other Board members in the Groups set up for that purpose.