This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maine Town Rejects Mandatory Gun Ownership

Default Maine Town Rejects Mandatory Gun Ownership

A similar measure was being considered in another Maine town (selectmen decided against putting it on the ballot) while a town in Georgia is also considering this.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...-guns#comments

Default Re: Maine Town Rejects Mandatory Gun Ownership

...mandatory ownership is just as nutso as banning all guns...

My partner and I had a somewhat heated debate about this type of local mandate last week. He's definitely more of a conservative, or perhaps libertarian, than I (bet that's a surprise, huh? ) sort of a James Carville/Mary Matalin couple. He was coming at it strictly from the POV of the government (even local) being more involved in our daily lives with what we can and can't do--civil liberties being eroded, etc. whereas I was going with the cold day in hell they'd tell me I had to have a gun. Civil disobedience isn't something I've done much of but that's where I'd draw the line. The only way you'd get me to have a gun is if you put it into my cold, dead hands.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    My partner and I had a somewhat heated debate about this type of local mandate last week. He's definitely more of a conservative, or perhaps libertarian, than I (bet that's a surprise, huh? ) sort of a James Carville/Mary Matalin couple. He was coming at it strictly from the POV of the government (even local) being more involved in our daily lives with what we can and can't do--civil liberties being eroded, etc. whereas I was going with the cold day in hell they'd tell me I had to have a gun. Civil disobedience isn't something I've done much of but that's where I'd draw the line. The only way you'd get me to have a gun is if you put it into my cold, dead hands.
    If the law passed, I was going to buy you a glock with a safety just so you could be in compliance.

My partner has a concealed carry permit and from the somewhat guilty looks/body language I was picking up on, I suspect we may already be in compliance.

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

There's some seriously stupid fother muckers out there in a parallel universe not so far away, far out there, butt not very far.
    Hey but then again, ya know my old childhood state of Ohio, it used to have a mandatory arms carry law for every able bodied man woman and child to be actively packin' heat, of course it was still a territory back then, and the Shawnee Indians had quite the propensity to be doin' mucho awful nasty painful type things to the more pigmentally challenged settlers who were runnin' around all willy nilly stealin' all their bestest stuff.
    There was also a law that said when ya got sprung from a pokey you were to be given a mount and a firearm..yeah I know, who couldn't resist knockin' over a liquor store huh, you know, maybe just every now & again, so hell yeah I say, let's all put that one back on the law dawg books again too!
    Can't wait for that Salem Mass type stuff to heat back up, yeah goin' back to that old timey rock & roll a suspected witch fun for the holy family.
    Why it'$ gonna be freakin' great, and a gold mine, I mean gee whiz have I got me a big ol' ba$ket o' biggy buckle$ & gianormou$ hat$ to hawk, and a line on $ome $imply $tunning $carlet letter$ in all the hotte$t hippe$t font$, but fir$t a ham $andwich on $ome of that deeeeliciou$ ergot of rye, I mean I got$ to get me a trippin' like them gonzo for gun$ guy$ $o a$ to $ee all the future potential capitali$tic po$$ibilitie$.

But isn't the joy of being a Libertarian that you think no one should be able to tell you what to do on either side?

My partner and I had a somewhat heated debate about this type of local mandate last week. He's definitely more of a conservative, or perhaps libertarian, than I (bet that's a surprise, huh? ) sort of a James Carville/Mary Matalin couple.

“Good books don’t give up all their secrets at once.”

Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    If the law passed, I was going to buy you a glock with a safety just so you could be in compliance.
    Or we could just make her one out of a Pop Tart.............

Quote Originally Posted by Out of Order View Post
    Or we could just make her one out of a Pop Tart.............
    ...then you could have your Glock and eat it too...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast