This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huge plot hole (I think)

Default Huge plot hole (I think)

Hello,

This is my first post ever, but I've been lurking for a while. I'm not seeing any threads in this forum, yet the main forum page says there's 9 threads in this forum. I did a search for threads from "the beginning" - still nothing.

Anyway, I'm reading Firestarter, and am about 60% of the way through it. So, the Andy character is able to "push" other characters into believing things. He made someone blind just by saying "you're blind," he convinced the cab driver the $1 bill was really a 500 just by saying so. My question is, to avoid all the mess of the plot, couldn't he have just said to the goons from the shop "You will never bother us again"? And there you go, problem solved. Maybe I'm not far enough along yet and it will be explained away somehow, but it seems like an obvious solution.

Default Re: Huge plot hole (I think)

Sure, he could have done that.....but it wouldn't have made nearly as interesting and exciting story if he had though, would it?

Enjoy finishing the story, and let me know what you think when you're done.
    Last edited by Sundrop; March 12th, 2013 at 03:49 PM.

I think it only lasts for so long but I could be remembering that wrong as I read it, like, 20 years ago.

Do not read this unless you want the book spoiled.
    Last edited by Shasta; March 12th, 2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Made a spoiler tag so I'm not a jerk

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    I think it only lasts for so long but I could be remembering that wrong as I read it, like, 20 years ago.
    You're right..... the OP hasn't finished yet, so mums the word

Yeah, the push only works momentarily, the Shop guys would soon recover and look for them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundrop View Post
    You're right..... the OP hasn't finished yet, so mums the word
    I added spoiler tags!

What's an OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    I added spoiler tags!

What's an OP?
    Original Poster or Original Post. The first post in a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    Original Poster or Original Post. The first post in a thread.
    Ah. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mws51581 View Post
    Hello,

This is my first post ever, but I've been lurking for a while. I'm not seeing any threads in this forum, yet the main forum page says there's 9 threads in this forum. I did a search for threads from "the beginning" - still nothing.

Anyway, I'm reading Firestarter, and am about 60% of the way through it. So, the Andy character is able to "push" other characters into believing things. He made someone blind just by saying "you're blind," he convinced the cab driver the $1 bill was really a 500 just by saying so. My question is, to avoid all the mess of the plot, couldn't he have just said to the goons from the shop "You will never bother us again"? And there you go, problem solved. Maybe I'm not far enough along yet and it will be explained away somehow, but it seems like an obvious solution.
    Welcome! The old(er) threads have been archived and should be visible soon (if they aren't already?). I hope they are, anyway. I enjoy reading the old posts from time to time.

As others have said, "the push" takes a LOT out of Andy. I seem to recall him having some faint moments (that lasted for days, actually) because he had "pushed" too many people so close together or something like that. Not sure. I need to do a re-read.

Enjoy Firestarter!

Thanks for all the nice replies, everyone. Glad to finally emerge from the shadows and actually post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast