Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Question about gun background checks (not inflammatory, I promise)

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Question about gun background checks (not inflammatory, I promise)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,847

    Default Question about gun background checks (not inflammatory, I promise)

    So, I stumbled upon this short video: http://www.upworthy.com/this-is-what...s-meet-reality

    Basically the police chief in this video is saying they aren't going to do "paper chases" but instead are going after gun crimes, and the senator is (kinda) suggesting current laws aren't being enforced. HOWEVER, MY INTENT IS NOT TO START ANY KIND OF DEBATE HERE. Instead, I have a question.

    Maybe I'm not understanding the context of the video (it's just a few minutes), but it seems like they are implying that it is illegal to try to buy a gun if you're not allowed. Is that accurate? Meaning, if I for some reason would not pass a background check, and I go into a gun shop and try to buy a gun, and they come back and say "Sorry, you failed the background check," and I say "okay, thanks, bye," and leave ... have I just committed a crime?

    I guess I thought the crime would be owning the gun if you weren't allowed ... or, I suppose, using false information to try to pass a background check. But they seem to be saying that even the attempt to buy a gun, even if you are not dishonest at all, is a crime IF you for some reason don't pass the background check.

    Am I understanding that correctly? Or no?

  2. #2
    jimson's Avatar
    jimson Guest

    Default Re: Question about gun background checks (not inflammatory, I promise)

    I really don't know the answer. I'd guess that there have been mistakes that have put people in the prohibited possessor category when they shouldn't have been.

    I'd say it would be pretty difficult to prosecute someone for simply failing a background check.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    bye
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Question about gun background checks (not inflammatory, I promise)

    Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    ...if I for some reason would not pass a background check, and I go into a gun shop and try to buy a gun, and they come back and say "Sorry, you failed the background check," and I say "okay, thanks, bye," and leave ... have I just committed a crime?
    I don't think so, as long as you gave true and accurate information in the application. It's no different than applying for a driver's license, but being rejected for vision problems.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    bye
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Question about gun background checks (not inflammatory, I promise)

    According to this site, Graham was talking about people who misrepresent themselves on the application.


    ETA: Related link from the NY Times:

    WASHINGTON — Nearly 80,000 Americans were denied guns in 2010, according to Justice Department data, because they lied or provided inaccurate information about their criminal histories on background-check forms. Yet only 44 of those people were charged with a crime.
    Last edited by Sepia and Dust; March 15th, 2013 at 11:53 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under The Keg
    Posts
    3,175

    Default Re: Question about gun background checks (not inflammatory, I promise)

    What kind of gun you looking to buy, Todash?

  6. #6
    jimson's Avatar
    jimson Guest

    Default Re: Question about gun background checks (not inflammatory, I promise)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    According to this site, Graham was talking about people who misrepresent themselves on the application.


    ETA: Related link from the NY Times:
    I wonder what the charge would be.

    Could that be charged as perjury?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,847

    Default Re: Question about gun background checks (not inflammatory, I promise)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    According to this site, Graham was talking about people who misrepresent themselves on the application.


    ETA: Related link from the NY Times:
    Okay, that makes sense. I was just thinking ... what if you don't know, you know? That's better. Yes. Okay.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    3,847

    Default Re: Question about gun background checks (not inflammatory, I promise)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    I don't think so, as long as you gave true and accurate information in the application. It's no different than applying for a driver's license, but being rejected for vision problems.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm glad they were talking about misrepresenting yourself. The video is such a short clip it's hard to tell.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    bye
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Question about gun background checks (not inflammatory, I promise)

    Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    HOWEVER, MY INTENT IS NOT TO START ANY KIND OF DEBATE HERE.
    I disagree. Do you have a cite to back up this outrageous claim?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    bye
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Question about gun background checks (not inflammatory, I promise)

    Quote Originally Posted by jimson View Post
    I wonder what the charge would be.

    Could that be charged as perjury?
    Yes, it's perjury, like filing a false affidavit.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •