This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's spread a little kindness to the world

Default Let's spread a little kindness to the world

Today I was driving home from a doctor appointment and I wanted a milkshake, so I pulled into the drive-thru at McDonald's. I noticed the woman in the car behind me looked sort of unhappy and her car was in pretty bad condition. On a whim, I told the cashier I wanted to pay for this woman's order. (I had heard a news story a few weeks ago about people doing this same thing in another city as a random act of kindness.) I told the cashier to just request that the woman to do some small act of kindness to another stranger whenever she had a chance. After I got my order and started to drive away, I heard a car horn beeping and I turned to see the woman in the car behind me waving to me with a big smile on her face. This totally made my day! I felt a much bigger boost to my psyche than the few dollars that her order cost me.

My point here is not to pat myself on the back, after all this wasn't any kind of real sacrifice on my part. But, if I had never heard this story in the first place, I would have never thought to do it. And now, not only is a stranger a little bit happier, I am a lot happier too, and maybe she'll make someone else's day a little happier as well. So, I wanted to let people on this message board know about this. Maybe people reading this will make some little act of kindness to a stranger and we can spread just a little bit more happiness out into the world! Think of all the negative thoughts and events that happen every day, we have it in our power to counteract this and kick off some positive deeds and positive attitudes that might spread around the world quicker than you'd think.

I hope this thread can become a place where people can talk about their little random acts of kindness, whether they have done them, or someone did something kind for you. Let's spread kindness out to the world!
    Last edited by fushingfeef; March 15th, 2013 at 03:00 PM.

Default Re: Let's spread a little kindness to the world

You're a real mensch, Feefster. I love you.

Ah, Fush that warmed my heart. Years ago, with small children in tow, had gone to the local library. Upon opening a book, I'd found a $20 bill with note attached. Use it well and pay it forward. That bought groceries for the children, and when I had extra money I replaced the $20 and the original note. I often wonder how many people's lives it touched.

I was in an elevator the other day and had to pass gas. I waited until I got off and no one was around. I consider that a little act of kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by hossenpepper View Post
    I was in an elevator the other day and had to pass gas. I waited until I got off and no one was around. I consider that a little act of kindness.
    I *think* I like this post but I'm not sure yet. There's a fine line between an act of kindness and common courtesy, and this choice skates right on up to the edge of both.

But hey - isn't gas what you get when you go around eating possum buritos??

That is an act of kindness, not only did you save the peeps in the elevator, but you made me spit my wine out laughing onto my computer.... bravo

Was just thinking (ouch) Fush. Do you recall the original Esquire magazine story of Gingerbread Girl? I like to think of it as the SKMB's pay it forward. When one member mentioned they were unable to read story, as the magazine was not available in their country, it was sent forward. That member in turn paid it forward and it eventually traveled around the world -- member to member-- landing back in the hands of the author- our Sai King. Acts of kindness come in many forms.

Someone on Twitter I didn't really know posted several evenings ago that she wanted to become a copy editor but was having trouble "breaking in." So basically I spent a bit of time encouraging her and giving her ideas. That felt pretty good.

hoss, that was more than an act of kindness. It was an act of non-genocide.

A couple of years ago a woman paid for my daughters lunch without telling her. My daughter was shopping for school clothes with her two boys and one had asked for something special. My daughter told him they would have to wait until she saved some money. He didn't complain, just said okay mom. The woman overheard the conversation and paid their lunch tab. I've never done anything like that but I try to do little things. Park farther out at stores to save the close spots for someone with walking problems or someone with small children. Open doors for those same people, let them go ahead of me in the checkout line. And I'm a "grocery getter" for the housebound in my small town. Sheez, I sound pretty good... But I also drink, swear and am lazy so it evens it out...

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast