This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Why So Underrated

Default Why So Underrated

I'm reading The Dead Zone now for the first time, and I am absolutely loving it. I'm about halfway through, so hopefully that will not change (and thus answer my own question).

Anyway, why does it seem that it is so unnoticed/underrated amongst King's "Best Of" lists? How does everyone here feel about it?

Default Re: Why So Underrated

It does seem to be ignored, much like Firestarter, Cujo, Tommyknockers (that book is way better than people say), Gerald's Game, and Dolores Claiborne. Maybe I'm missing one or two, but those along with The Dead Zone seem to go unnoticed the most, IMO.

Sadly, I didn't much care for The Dead Zone. I'm not sure what it was - maybe it was nothing more than the state of mind I was in and the happenings in my life that were going on when I read it that made me feel this way. I need to re-read it for sure because I absolutely love the movie adaption with Christopher Walken starring in it!

...I think really...it just isn't as "universal" as some of his other novels....though it deals with a "wild talent" like Carrie or Firestarter...it didn't resonate the same way...and he wasn't one of the more sympathetic characters, even though he should have been...just one of those quirks I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...I think really...it just isn't as "universal" as some of his other novels....though it deals with a "wild talent" like Carrie or Firestarter...it didn't resonate the same way...and he wasn't one of the more sympathetic characters, even though he should have been...just one of those quirks I guess...
    Very well said!