Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
2 cents having just finished

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: 2 cents having just finished

Default 2 cents having just finished

I had seen the movie many times prior to reading the combined volumes that make up the novel. With that knowing those movie players fit into the story very well and seemed to help me read faster. (This is a big help since I don't read quickly and usually end up with some large gaps in time to read.) And true to the case with most novels that go to the screen there are some pieces left behind and only to be found between the pages. I was pleased with high percentage of dialog that identical in the both versions, all the way down to the accents on words and shortening of phases. I really liked this book but thought it wasn't great. Another wonderful story and venture outside of our regular daily life's with characters that you think you could see on the streets tomorrow they are so clear and defined. Some mystery, humor, sadness, excitement, real life situations you can relate to, some mystical imagination moments, just what a good story/author creates.

Default Re: 2 cents having just finished

I really liked this book but thought it wasn't great.
    ...fair enough...

Another wonderful story and venture outside of our regular daily life's with characters that you think you could see on the streets tomorrow they are so clear and defined. Some mystery, humor, sadness, excitement, real life situations you can relate to, some mystical imagination moments, just what a good story/author creates.
    ....but it wasn't great...

hmmm..i read it as it came out...awaiting each addition with increasingly baited anticipation...passed each copy to friends...and, it seemd, half the people i knew were waiting right along with me for each chapter...

haven't gone back to do a reread, yet...could see, maybe, where a stright-thru shot might not build the high level of eagerness all my friends and i had for each new edition...

maybe watching the movie too often dulled the sense to the sheer wonderment of the storytelling...who knows

one of his best books ever, imho

keep on reading, luke

jimson Guest

One of his bests in my opinion, read it as the serial novel when chapters came out separately.

Best movie adaption of his work, also in my opinion.

I read and own both the serial version and the all in one version. I prefer the all in one version as there are some bits that bridge scenes that I feel benefit the story as a whole. The movie is one of my favorite King adaptations. For me the film got the atmosphere just right.

Quote Originally Posted by doowopgirl View Post
    I read and own both the serial version and the all in one version. I prefer the all in one version as there are some bits that bridge scenes that I feel benefit the story as a whole. The movie is one of my favorite King adaptations. For me the film got the atmosphere just right.

Yeah, I'm with you on your thought, above. The atmosphere was a little soft, but right. And, the development of John Coffey as an empath, was first rate. Add that, to the evolving feelings and understanding of those "in charge" and I loved the film.

I remember the summer The Green Mile serial came out. The days couldn't go by fast enough as I waited for each new installment. Ah, good times. I haven't read the all in one version yet but I'll get to it one of these days. The Green Mile stands as one of my favorite SK works in both book and movie form. I thought the movie did a great job of capturing the feel of the book and the characters. And now that Michael Clarke Duncan has died in real life watching The Green Mile is even sadder.