This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: The Shining to be shown in empty and isolated UK hotel

Default The Shining to be shown in empty and isolated UK hotel

A disused hotel on a clifftop in Dorset, UK, is to welcome customers once more for a screening of horror film The Shining.
    The Burton Cliff Hotel, closed for five years and awaiting renovation, has been chosen by organisers of the From Page To Screen festival.

Jan Harlan,Stanley Kubrick's brother-in-law and executive producer of the film, is attending the event.

See link for more details.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-21846060

Default Re: The Shining to be shown in empty and isolated UK hotel

Neat! That would be a heck of an experience.

...I would suggest a quick check of all bathtubs prior to screening....

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...I would suggest a quick check of all bathtubs prior to screening....
    (And my tired brain just read "screening" as screaming. )
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

That sounds amazing! I wanna go!

After leaving school (many many years ago) I got my first job working in a large hotel. Parts of it dated back to Tudor times and it had 2 or 3 resident ghosts, including a headless nun, if I remember rightly.

I was a room service waiter and one of my jobs was to go around the hotel with a trolley loaded with drinks and snacks to replenish the minibars in all of the rooms. There was one wing of the hotel - the Cambridge Wing' - which was set apart from the main building and was used mainly by businessman. By 10.00am it was deserted, bar the occasional chamber maid and me with my trolley. There were endless twists and turns in the corridors and an eerie background hum coming from the heating system. Each day I would try desperately not to think of the Shining, but inevitably it kept popping into my head. A few minutes in and I'd be a nervous wreck. I can still recall the hair rising on the back of my neck each time I had to make a turn in the corridor or unlock one of the rooms. Invariably, kneeling down to restock the mini bar meant turning my back on the bathroom. All I could think was - "No one will even hear me scream..." To make matters so much worse, the year before I started, a member of staff - an alcoholic porter, who had had a small room in the Cambridge Wing, had killed himself. No one would say how he had done it or in which room it had happened as the hotel understandably wanted the story to die down. God, the 6 months I spent in that job aged me ten years. Hotels are creepy places....

Ahh man, if I'd have known about this sooner I would have gone for sure!
    It sounds awesome.
    BleakMid... What a creepy experience!

a haunted,drafty balcony overseeing my kingdom...waiting for my King...

What a great idea!... I wish I had a chance to attend something like that, sounds like fun!