This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Just finished!

Just finished!

All i can say is 'wow!' What an awesome novel. I read 'Salem's Lot before this one and I have to say I liked the shining a whole lot more. excellent characters, great pace, great plot, just great all around.

The ending was poignant but honest. I was real happy that wendy survived because even though I'm not a woman, nor a parent, I could empathize with her motherly love for danny and her motherly instincts to protect him.

10 out of 10 stars!!!

Default Re: Just finished!

The Shining is one of my favourite SK stories, I love the gradual descent into madness of Jack, one of my favourite parts is when he's in the hotel bar talking to the non-existent barman and when Mr. Grady rescues him from the pantry.

I also love the slippery descent into madness of Jack also! Very well written character. The story in a way makes us pity Jack because we know he has a good heart, but the demons of his past and the demons of the hotel take over him.

Quote Originally Posted by EAST COASTER View Post
    The Shining is one of my favourite SK stories, I love the gradual descent into madness of Jack, one of my favourite parts is when he's in the hotel bar talking to the non-existent barman and when Mr. Grady rescues him from the pantry.

...I am a fan of Mr. Halloran...my kinda cook!....

I'd read it when published-- eons ago, so just did a re read. Wow, that sure was a good book. It all comes flowing back to your mind's eye, goosebumps more than once. Can't wait to re visit Danny-- all grown up.

I just finished too this past weekend! It wasn't my favorite SK novel by any stretch (I did enjoy it though), but mainly I read it bc I didnt wanna be lost when Dr Sleep comes out this Fall I do wanna play Roque though... although on a Court, not someone's head.

What's not to like? Now you're ready for Dr. Sleep!

I have nothing but good things to say about The Shining.