Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Things that annoy you about writers?

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that annoy you about writers?

Question Things that annoy you about writers?

I hate it when writers say that a character is so frightened, his hair turns white. Get out of town! Even if a person lost all their pigment, it would take the colored hair a while to grow out. Uncle Steve is guilty of this amoung many others.
    What are chinos? Does only male characters in books wear them? Maybe it is an American thing? I never see any signs in stores where they sell chinos.

Oh, and please do not hear a scream and discover it is yourself making the noise. That does not work well in real life lol.

Anyway, we haven't had this kind of thread for awhile. Fill your boots!
    Last edited by staropeace; March 25th, 2013 at 07:25 PM.

Default Re: Things that annoy you about writers?

I wore Chinos in the eighties! For guys, think tan slacks, creased down the middle seam, and kind of preppy.

When they describe a character(s) going to a place, say a restaurant, a bar, a store, whatever...and they don't tell you, Jack and Diane went to the Loading Zone...you get, instead...blah and blah went to a restaurant...maybe they throw in fashionable...
    I don't know anyone who goes into a place w/o knowing what the name of it is...and then, 100 pages later, they revisit the place and then you get the name of it.

I've read some real atrocious similes/metaphors...and don't want to post them...on the off chance they are "searchable"...younger writers...flaming this...flaming that...one even took one of King's, I'm certain, and used it verbatim...and yeah, that one did work.

All the pants peeing has to stop. I been scared plenty, ain't never pee'd me pants. King does this like ALLATIME, allatime. God bless 'em, though.

...the overemphasis on "moral lessons" in stories....(yeah, yeah...I know-my guy Koontz is wickedly guilty of this)....

Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    I hate it when writers say that a character is so frightened, his hair turns white. Get out of town! Even if a person lost all their pigment, it would take the colored hair a while to grow out. Uncle Steve is guilty of this amoung many others.
    What are chinos? Does only male characters in books wear them? Maybe it is an American thing? I never see any signs in stores where they sell chinos.

Oh, and please do not hear a scream and discover it is yourself making the noise. That does not work well in real life lol.

Anyway, we haven't had this kind of thread for awhile. Fill your boots!
    LOL ... my husband wears chinos to work pretty much every day of the week. Lots of people call them khakis, but I don't like calling them that because khaki is a color, and I hate saying "I washed your khaki khakis" or "your off-white khakis are hanging up."

Yes, I don't like the white hair thing. Although supposedly if you have a mix of white and colored hair, stress could make your colored hair fall out, making it appear your hair turned white quickly.

As far as peeing goes ... I haven't done that either, but I always assume I simply haven't been scared enough. I will let you know if it happens the next time a monster comes lurching out of my bedroom closet.

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha_ View Post
    I wore Chinos in the eighties! For guys, think tan slacks, creased down the middle seam, and kind of preppy.
    Or not creased. If, for example, a certain wife got super tired of ironing the damn things.

Here, staro, clicky this and you will say "OH THOSE THINGS." http://www.eddiebauer.com/EB/Men/Pan...inos/index.cat

Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    Chinos are alive and well in the US!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chinos.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	186.9 KB 
ID:	17204

When the writer seems intent on conveying a message. Was it Truman Capote who said if you want to send a message, call Western Union? Wasn't me though I agree w/the sentiment. I read To Kill a Mockingbird recently. Great story. Reminds me of Huck Finn, Candles Burning...others. And wasn't this the only story Ms Lee wrote? It is still a favorite of mine now, but after the business w/the trial, she added scenes to convey a message. She has the Missionary Society ladies gathered together...concerned about others in another country...the intent, I believe, to show the religious hypocrisy involved. Then she has the children at school, talking about Current Events. Old Hitler, as Cecil Jacobs, tells the class, is persecuting people. Couldn't help but feel I was being schooled in right and wrong, when the story didn't need that...she did a fine job up to the point of the trial's end.

What she probably did not intend...or if she did...hats off to her, is that earlier Jean Louise wants to play with Walter and she asks Aunt Alexandra why can't she? Because--he--is--trash, that's why you can't play with him. With that scene, Ms Lee seems to have defined the new kicking post of our culture. There's a great quote in Padgett Powell's, Mrs. Hollingsworth's Men:
    “Now she understood a few things: that the American academy, which one might have thought the place to defend freedom of speech, had been the seat and soul of abrogating freedom of speech, if the first assault on its freedom can be said to be restricting, or handcuffing speech. The day she heard “redneck” on NPR, she turned NPR off, not because broadcasters were still using the term, but because she knew one day they would not be. In fact, she had a vision of the quiet moment backstage at a Boston studio when a good, surprised correspondent was let go for saying “redneck” the last time it would be said.”

Whether it is yeehaws, red-necks, white trash...big hair and trailer trash, that was all the vogue when President Clinton was in office, the intent is the same--to minimize and marginalize a group of people. Sometimes, an awareness of this happens, as seems to have happened with the use of Third World Countries...a signifier w/o a signified, a label that the Talking Heads were using w/o remorse until the more fashionable Developing Nations took its place.

When characters "sleep without dreaming." I know most of the time people don't remember their dreams, but some authors *cough* King *cough* use this a LOOOOOOT. I don't know why, but it annoys me...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast