This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally: An Anti-Rape PSA that Puts the Onus on Men

Default Finally: An Anti-Rape PSA that Puts the Onus on Men

Hi.

I wanted share this article and bring attention to a very disturbing issue.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livin...200617379.html

If you have the time and inclination please click on the highlighted names and recent crimes. (Just in case you were unaware of them.)

And watch the PSA, please.

Peace.
    Last edited by Sigmund; March 25th, 2013 at 08:55 PM.

Default Re: Finally: An Anti-Rape PSA that Puts the Onus on Men

Hey Siggy, I hope the video contained within your link goes viral... everybody should see this.
    Thanks for posting....
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

The vid went viral on Friday and has received more than 720,00 hits already. Excellent vid.

watched it...it was indeed impressive...

still, even though i knew what was about to happen...my stomach got all knotty as he left the picture...and, at the end, i still had a sense of unease.

after steubenville (and other stories of this nature) and as a father of 3 daughters, i worry to death not that my girls will make the wrong decisions: they're very smart and intelligent, noo...

i worry about the lowlife cretins lurking out there just ready to take advantage of anyone who isn't 100% on guard.

sure, we all know/hope most guys are probably more like the guy in the vid...but, be honest: are they ? are any of your friends the type to do otherwise ? why would you hang around with someone who is like that ??

...look at the recent hearings in DC about rape in the military...what a sad commentary all this is

...maybe I'm just ahead of my time or something, but I never felt rape was the womans fault-when attacked by a man...he's the aggressor, she the victim-REALLY don't understand people's ignorance of the crime....

511 people gave the video a thumbs-down...who the heck are these people?
    Luckily over 15,000 gave it a thumbs-up.

One in 4 women will be sexually assaulted.

I think this video really hits on the kind of rape culture we have. There are people who genuinely believe that if you don't say "no" it's not rape. If it isn't an enthusiastic "yes", it's rape. Wearing someone down to a yes is still rape.

The Steubenville case really enraged me. The girl was in a relatively safe situation, among 'friends' and just being a teenager and having fun. The fact that she was drunk does not matter. Even if she was passed out on a bed naked with a sign that said "let's do this", it's still rape. The amount of victim blaming that is culturally encouraged is absolutely insane. And the people who seem to believe that a penis somehow makes you incapable of controlling yourself have no respect for men either. "She was wearing a short skirt and a low cut top, of course he couldn't stop himself, officer." #sarcasm

I would really like to see, instead of 'no means no' campaigns in schools (because frankly, it isn't changing at home), in addition to comprehensive sex ed, would be something like 'enthusiastic yes means yes, and you need to get an enthusiastic yes every time'. It's not quite as catchy. But it's a hell of a lot more accurate, with less loopholes.

I love this! It is GREAT.

That being said ... I have told my young female relatives, and always will, WATCH THE DRINKING. Drinking too much does NOT make it your fault, but it does take away some of your natural defenses. It's hard to push someone off, run away, or even put the fear of God into him by using the R word (because in a college/party situation he's probably drunk too but hearing the word "rape" might just sober him up right quick) if you can't even stand up.

I tell my male relatives the same thing, except from the other side: drink too much and you just might find yourself doing things you'd not do sober--and ruining someone's life in the process. And also, no means no. Passed out means no. Drunk means no.

Quote Originally Posted by Todash View Post
    I love this! It is GREAT.

That being said ... I have told my young female relatives, and always will, WATCH THE DRINKING. Drinking too much does NOT make it your fault, but it does take away some of your natural defenses. It's hard to push someone off, run away, or even put the fear of God into him by using the R word (because in a college/party situation he's probably drunk too but hearing the word "rape" might just sober him up right quick) if you can't even stand up.

I tell my male relatives the same thing, except from the other side: drink too much and you just might find yourself doing things you'd not do sober--and ruining someone's life in the process. And also, no means no. Passed out means no. Drunk means no.

...those kids need a pat on the back, that is what a TRUE message is all about...point made in no time at all...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast