This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Christian rock or rock from any other faith?

Default Christian rock or rock from any other faith?

I loved Jesus Christ Superstar but, frankly, did not really bother with Christian rock because I thought it was too wussy. I was wrong. I started liking it the last few years. How about you? Whether your faith is Jewish, Hindu, Native American tradional.,etc...what moves you in music and faith? I will start with Hillsong. Please post your vids.

Default Re: Christian rock or rock from any other faith?

I can't post a vid at the moment...but I grew up on Christian music, and still like a good deal of it...

I think Jesus Christ Superstar was an atheist's interpretation of the story of Jesus.

I really like it as well.

Can't say I'm into Christian rock. It's always seems kind of hokey.

Okay, I am getting a lil bit Hindu here and a lil bit rock and roll,lol. I love this song. I lived with a man from India who gave me this wonderful CD. It makes me happy.

Believe it or not, there is pagan rock - the real thing, not the stupid heavy metal wanna-be stuff. This is one of my favorites:

The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect/The way you live, the gifts that you give/In the fullness of time/It's the only return that you expect

I've always been of the opinion that about 90% of any artistic medium is utter garbage. You have to sift through each song to get the gems. The rough generalization seems to hold up. I've heard the odd Christian Rock song I liked, but in general I don't gravitate to a genre of music. I think that music, like good literature, often suffers when it attempts to meet the criteria of a specific label. Musicians who start with the premise that I'm going to make music that sounds like rock but must praise Jesus are doing plot and formula. That is rarely a good thing.

Ode to Joy, Beethoven...this is one of many versions...one I listen to has more piano, but could not find a video that equals it...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v5rbfnqlqbA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwFHsX6omvI Come Thou Font of Every Blessing...one of many versions...I like what it says about the creative process
    Ian & Sylvia...Jesus Met the Woman at the Well...this recording http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBfu8ymn3_o isn't the same I have...one from the studio I think...almost as good
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZtwxc423jg Josh Turner, Long Black Train

I don't know if I can post a video....I'll try.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YM8hxE-j4T8

it's Colton Dixon, and I do like his music.

I can't get into Christian rock, either, and I really made an effort a few years ago. ATW is right: it came across as, well, hokey. Or maybe I wasn't enough with the program to begin with. I'd like the melodies but the lyrics would interfere, like the singer(s) were having to convince themselves they were believers. The only one who made a lasting impression on me was Plumb. Tiffany never came across as a hypocrite.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Sawyer View Post
    I can't get into Christian rock, either, and I really made an effort a few years ago. ATW is right: it came across as, well, hokey. Or maybe I wasn't enough with the program to begin with. I'd like the melodies but the lyrics would interfere, like the singer(s) were having to convince themselves they were believers. The only one who made a lasting impression on me was Plumb. Tiffany never came across as a hypocrite.
    Plumb is wonderful. Her Chaotic Resolve album is great.

I highly respect Derek Webb. He's just amazing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast