This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Room 237

Thumbs up Room 237

First I want to say I know that's the room number in the Kubrick film, not in the book, but that's kind of my point. My husband came back from the DVD rental shop all excited about this film. He thought he had something that would be fun and inteeresting for us and get him brownie poits knowing that I'm the constant reader in the family. Well, they say God loves a tryer so I couldn't be annoyed with him as he meant well. This was the biggest load of claptrap I've ever seen in my life. No exaggeration. It was nothing more than what the fimmaker decided he saw as Kubrick going on about how the film was really all about Nazis. For example, you can add and multiply the numbers 237 and come up with 42, the year of the holocaust. If you superimpose certain clips it gives Jack Nicholson a beard making him look satanic and a bit German. If you look at the scene in the kitchen in the beginning all the Calumet cans are turned so you can't see the entire siloette and that means bad medicine and that points to the destruction of America by white people. In the scene where Jack meets with the managing director for the job interview there is an impossible window. You are shown a map of thr hotel and then shown how that office has no windows. Signifying I forget what. I could go on, but I won't. you get the idea. Throw in a couple of continuity errors that I never noticed until they were pointed out to me and the constant chuckling by the filmmaker as he pointed these things out and we weren't sure if he was Beavis or Butthead. Please avoid at all costs!!!

Default Re: Room 237

I love The Shining.. The book, movie, and mini-series.

Thinking wont be watching Room 237. Thanks for the heads up.

...237 also equates to B-C-G...Big Cockadoodie Goofball...

Quote Originally Posted by AchtungBaby View Post
    I love The Shining.. The book, movie, and mini-series.
    Then don't watch this!

Thank you for posting this. I was going to watch it but it doesn't sound like it would be worth my time.

I agree with you here. All the theories they put forward are waaaay out there. However, love him or hate him, Kubrick was very talented at the subtle and the hidden meanings, so some of these things may have been deliberate by him... some of them though are just wild theories by people who have seen the film A LOT of times!

a haunted,drafty balcony overseeing my kingdom...waiting for my King...

I was thinking about watching it, now I'm not sure.......maybe I'd watch to see how awful it is, just to say I watched it.

I think how good it is, is totally dependent on the viewer. If you like conspiracy theories, then you may get a kick out of this film

I thought it was interesting...but pretty unbelievable. My husband, who loves the movie The Shining but who has never read the book, was more intrigued by Room 237.

Who knows what was in Kubrick's head? The Shining was a great movie in its own right, but it didn't do justice to the subtleties of King's amazing novel (the mini-series had some good moments but could have been better).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast