Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Introduction

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Default Introduction

Hi all,

Just registered and a short introduction seems proper Suppose the shorter the better in my case...

Anyway, I'm a finnish author and I love reading and writing - mostly fantasy, horror, sci-fi and history. I've read Mr. Kings stories since 1982 or 1983 - and believe you me, then it was easier to find polar bears droppings in your morning cafe than Stephen Kings novels in a finnish bookstore. Stephen King introduced horror to me the same way as Tolkien did with fantasy and I haven't regretted a second I've spent with his novels. "On writing" was a great help to me as a starting author - when all I could do was go through the net daily to find critics from my first, published novel.
    Ok, to keep it short, here I am and I can't wait to get to know you and share opinions about all things concerning the arts and/or the genre.

Ilkka

Default Re: Introduction

Hi Ilkka...nice to meet you. A few years ago, I read in the local Gazette about a Finnish man who wrote stories, published them himself, and then used his bicycle to distribute them. As I recall, he was up there...over 80...a new writer. There's quite a few people of Suomalainen nationality here in the Copper Country...the mines, the device used to attract them...although one Cornish mining boss wrote to the powers-that-be in New York, telling him he didn't want any more Finns...my understanding they're too stubborn or something. Had my great-grandfather not been killed in a mine, had my great-grandmother not remarried...a Swede...my name would have been Kauppi. My mother didn't like being asked, "so you wanna pee, huh?" when she went to school, so I imagine things work out for the best, or at least that's one way of looking at it. Top it off, had my cousin been born before me, my name would have been Waino (pronounced "wino" for the uninitiated)...so "wino cow-pee" might have been the equivalent of being named "Sue". I had the chance to read Kalle Päätalo's, Koillismaa series...enjoyed it...Richard Impola, translator, reminds me of Steinbeck's writing. Welcome aboard.

...here's a video-cap of a Finnish Bookstore with BEE Man prominently featured...and it was hard to find Unca Steve???...

Haha, Bee man - well that's not me!! Hell...
    Walter, the cornish mining boss was totally right. I can imagine finns at that time - stubborn, sullen, quiet and probably even very prone to drinking and fighting. Fortunately nowadays finns are only stubborn, sullen, quiet and prone to drinking and fighting, so we are happy that a lot has changed since then.
    That Wäinö Kauppi - "wino cow pee" thing was absolutely hilarious !! That name would have been a disaster there
    Well, you do know that Kalle Päätalo is a legend in finnish literature. I'v never read even one of his books, but the popularity cannot come from nothing.
    Thanks for the welcome, it's nice to be here.

Päätalo's stories are enlightening to me, the way people addressed each other. One character, Kosti Makinen, is known throughout as Tampere Boy, the town/region from which he came. Too, it was curious to read how people simply entered another's home. I'd seen the same thing in Dickens' Bleak House...and those times have changed. Apparently, the people leaned a broom against the door when they were out to indicate nobody was home. And I liked how often, they used few words to communicate...they'd often use an oblique manner of telling the news, and too, some things were left unsaid.

You've been reading Stephen King longer than I have. Check out the threads here and post your thoughts. I think that after you reach a certain post count, other privileges are open to you, as well. Not many, 5 to 10 or so.

Have you watched Aki Kaurismäki's movies? Very simple dialogue, very few words to communicate. Simple. And somewhat bleak, too.
    When I was young our grandmother did the same thing - a broom against the door when no-one was home. And at that time people just entered another's home in the countryside. Even now they don't usually lock doors there.
    There's a good saying which describes finnish mentality: What did a finnish man do, when he saw a chip floating from upstream? He took his axe and went to see who the hell was building a house there (and probably to kill him or drive him away)

Yeah, I've read King for years and if I had to mention one person, who has in influenced me most in literature it's him. I remember reading Salem's lot, when I was probably 16. It took whole night to read it and when morning came and sun started to shine through the venetian blinds I was relieved Don't know how frightening that would be now.
    I'll check out everything here as fast as I can - right now I'm editing my sixth novel and the publisher is... well, quite anxious about it At the same time I'm reading the 11/22/63 - a fantastic novel, IMHO one of mr. King's best.

No, have never seen his movies. Quite a list he has. If you could only recommend one, which would it be?

I think that Finnish saying applies even more, today, here in the states. More so than when people were arriving...they lived mainly in the towns and villages, although the various nationalities kept to themselves...French Gulley...Finn Gulley. When one was younger and needed to go to the store, one had to fight one's way there and back. My old man cut through the woods. Jokes about the other were common...still are to an extent. There's one about Heikki and Toivo...there's many about the two...but one goes: Toivo bought a new Husqvarna chainsaw and brought it over to Heikki's so he could cut his wood. A week or two passed and Toivo went to visit Heikki again. He saw Heikki at the wood pile, using his cross-cut saw, the Husqvarna sitting idle on a woodpile. How come you aren't using the chainsaw, Heikki? Heikki set the cross-cut aside, wiped his brow, and after a lengthy pause said Too much work. I cut one cord with it, but I like my cross-cut. Toivo, puzzled, did not reply. Heikki began cutting more wood. Toivo went to the chainsaw, picked it up, and pulled the starter cord, revving the engine. Heikki, startled, yelled, what's that noise!

Usually, the jokes suggest Finlanders are stoopid. No argument, me. But we try.

Sixth novel! You'll have to private message me the info. I think once a member has 5-10 posts, other privileges are available. There's a rule against promoting stuff.

Rick Hautala, another Maine horror writer (sadly he passed away unexpectedly last month) and who attended the University of Maine with Stephen, was of Finnish descent. A really great guy who will be missed. His Finnish joke was "How do you know you've met a Finnish extrovert? Answer: They look at your knees instead of your feet."

I wasn't aware of Rick Hautala's death, what unexpected and sad news. He actually visited my hometown in the 90s. Apparently he signed one the town library books that I read. Only two of his books have been published in Finnish. He used to include some Finnish words/phrases in his books. They were printed in bold in the Finnish versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Auer View Post
    Hi all,

Just registered and a short introduction seems proper Suppose the shorter the better in my case...
    And, welcome to the board, fellow citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Rick Hautala, another Maine horror writer (sadly he passed away unexpectedly last month) and who attended the University of Maine with Stephen, was of Finnish descent. A really great guy who will be missed. His Finnish joke was "How do you know you've met a Finnish extrovert? Answer: They look at your knees instead of your feet."
    ...damn, I didn't know Rick had passed...that is indeed a loss...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast