This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King and Joe Hill Novels at Dollar General

Default Stephen King and Joe Hill Novels at Dollar General

I thought I would start this thread to let everybody know that Dollar General is now selling Stephen King and Joe Hill books among their bargain books. Yesterday I found SK's Full Dark, No Stars and JH's Horns for $5.00 each. They are the first edition hardbacks with dust jackets and no markings. Each had originally been priced at $27.99. Those are the only two I have found so far. Who knows what they might have at different stores. I hope this helps some of you out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PicMonkey Collage.jpg  

Default Re: Stephen King and Joe Hill Novels at Dollar General

...I have seen Horns around here, but Unca Steve...

Must be a run on Full Dark, No Stars, as my grocery just had a bargain box, 3 for $10, and I found a copy in there.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Here is a question for Ms Mod.

When these hardbacks show up in the bargain bins a few years after the books go paperback, where do they come from? Do bookstores send back the unsold ones once the book goes paperback (and get credit for them)? I've always wondered where they all come from. Barnes and Noble always has a big selection of older bargain priced hardbacks. Do they hold them back for a period of time so they don't interfere with the paperback sales?

I saw the same two books at our local Dollar General as well. I assume they are overstock.

Not sure exactly how that works, but the publishing term for those books is remainders. They're no longer on the best seller lists and sales have slowed down enough that book stores aren't ordering as many and in some cases may be returning them to make room on their shelves for new releases. We usually get notified by the publisher when they're about to be remaindered and we buy cartons to use as giveaways for fundraisers or to Steve's radio stations for contests.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Not sure exactly how that works, but the publishing term for those books is remainders. They're no longer on the best seller lists and sales have slowed down enough that book stores aren't ordering as many and in some cases may be returning them to make room on their shelves for new releases. We usually get notified by the publisher when they're about to be remaindered and we buy cartons to use as giveaways for fundraisers or to Steve's radio stations for contests.
    And the kindness and giving of SK to others lives on.....

That is all awesome. Dollar General is affordable for those with tight budgets. And well the kindness of SK and Ms. Mod and all is so wonderful.

...now there's call-in I coulda gotten jazzed about!....

I had also seen one of Owen King's books at the Dollar Store about a month ago. I believe it was a short story collection. I wanted to buy it, but could not at the time. I should go back and check to see if they still have them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast