Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Jesus painting banned in school..........

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jesus painting banned in school..........

Default Jesus painting banned in school..........

The painting was hanging there since 1947 and now it has been taken down. I really do not care since this is a public school, but it got me thinking about the folks who sued this school. Who would join a coalition that is against organized religion? Is it that important to them that their thinking be the law? It seems that they do not have much to do in their own lives. I wonder if, in years to come, great art like that of Leonardo will be allowed to be seen in places like the Louve if it is religious in nature? A lot of our great works on art are based on man's faith in something greater than us. Will this all change? Are the thought police out to get us all?

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/04/0...lawsuit-threat

Default Re: Jesus painting banned in school..........

This looks to be the latest step in the de-Christianization of America. It seems that "tolerance" means everyone's beliefs are respected except those of Christians. Atheists and Secular Humanists have been able to push their agendas in society over the last 50 years, pushing God out of the picture, while promoting their god of "self." I've never studied Canadian history, but none of the founding fathers of the US were atheists, at least not that I know of. Even those who were Deists (Jefferson and Franklin), as compared to the traditional meaning of Christian, believed in God and had no problem with including the Bible, prayer, and the 10 Commandments in everyday life, including education and government.
    Yes, some so-called Christians have used the Bible to try to prove unprovable points over the years. Pro-slavery and anti-Civil Rights groups in particular, but it must be noted that the greatest proponents of the abolition of slavery and those on the forefront of Civil Rights were also Christians.
    Those who are working the hardest to blast Christianity in all of its forms are the first to say "if you don't like (fill in your favorite hot topic), then don't do it." Well, if someone doesn't want to be a Christian, they can't be forced to be one, but they shouldn't try to change history and take away my rights to see God expressed in daily life.
    Not meaning to open a can of worms, but that's how I feel on the subject.

America needs a good bit more de-Christianizing, if you ask me.

In this particular case, though, I don't see any legal justification for removing the picture. Surely, there wasn't a painted Jesus peeking out at you from around every corner.

The Freedom from Religion Foundation is, in my experience, exactly what "Atheists and Secular Humanists" have been described as in this thread--an overbearing my way or no way group of misguided zealots.

Though I have to say that those who use the term Secular Humanists as some sort of bogeyman tend to be indoctrinated misguided zealots of the opposite stripe.

One thing I like about these forums is that I hear opinions and viewpoints different from my own. I've seen that people who hold beliefs diametrically opposed to mine aren't raving lunatics, just people who have different values and beliefs. Hopefully those who don't hold traditional Christian values can see that all of us aren't wide-eyed nut-jobs. God knows (no pun intended) there are plenty out there who are. Or maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age (52).

Both wonderful replies...and thank you muchly. It is not about the fact that this is antiChristian that has me so much concerned, it is the fact that a group of folks can put on a mantle of victimization because of the beliefs of others. I keep wondering where this is all going to end. I am thinking....1984...Big Brother....communist Russia.Folks seem to be easily offended nowadays if things do not fit with their schema of what is important to them. We have the politically correct bomblasting us with charges of intolerance for this and that. The very people who point the finger at other people, seem to the ones who are showing the least tolerance. We cannot have it both ways. I worry about our traditions and cultures...the things that define us as a country. Things are changing and at what cost?
    Last edited by staropeace; April 3rd, 2013 at 03:49 PM.

Good replies! Thank you guys!

Things should be changing. In times past, the quality of your character was often determined by your stated religious beliefs. There was a de facto state religion--Christianity--and your social status, job security, and legal protections were heavily influenced, if not determined outright, by how Christian a face you put on.

That has changed. Finally. Now, in the Land of the Free, you can actually be free to believe whatever you believe, even if it's nothing at all.

As with any sea-change, though, it's a rough transition. Morons and idiots of the extreme fringe come out on both sides, and whoever talks the loudest gets the media coverage. On the one hand, you've got The 9-11 attacks were God's wrath on us!, and on the other you have My kid saw a manger scene at Christmas time, and now he's scarred for life!

Insanity.

Eventually, everyone will realize that we live in a world with other people who have the same rights we do, and that none have special privileges. It'll take time, though.

But no, the Old Masters will still be the Old Masters in a hundred years, you'll still be allowed to say Merry Chrismas (even to Jews, who may very well wish you a Merry Christmas in return), and you'll still be free to attend the church of your choice.

Excellent post, Sepia.

...following their rationale...we also need to take down pics of Presidents, Martin Luther King Jr., bunnies, dogs, anthropomorphic school supplies etc. and hell, while we're at it-lets burn all the books!.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    Now, in the Land of the Free, you can actually be free to believe whatever you believe, even if it's nothing at all.
    I was going to stay out of this but I had to chime in on this one point.

I am one of those people who believes nothing at all and the last thing I feel is free about it.

Any time anyone finds out they harrass, belittle, coerce, and make fun of me. Fortunately, I don't really care but I definitely don't feel like understanding or acceptance is what I get.

I think atheists may have an easier time. They at least firmly believe that there is no god. Agnostics (like myself) don't know and don't speculate either way, which seems to mean that everyone feels they can be "swayed."

Okay. I'm off my soapbox.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast