Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Mike Murdock- God Loves Money

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Murdock- God Loves Money

Default Mike Murdock- God Loves Money

Anyone familiar with this televangilist? He is based out of Texas, I believe, and he appears on our local religious station on Sunday nights (in syndication). I thought the guy was being satirical at first (i.e. Stephen Colbert..), but he's not.. he is dead serious. And the entire basis of his ministry seems to be "God listens to money". I am sure he is really no different than most televangislists, in that, he is all about the money, but unlike most televangislists, he doesn't attempt to hide God's "love of money".

His first claim to fame was as a fundraising pastor on the PTL club, during the Jim Bakker scandal (imagine that...)

Ive read that Murdock claims that God will bestow unto you 3 months of miracles. And supposedly all you have to do is send this pharise $1,000.00, and then the blessings will rain down on you.

Here's a Murdock quote, regarding the $1,000.00 "obedience offering".

"I feel something special concerning the credit card, because the sooner you get your seed into the ground the sooner you will reap God's harvest of blessing."

So, yeah, if you send Murdock $1000.00... the following may happen, according to my reading..
    1. That God will use this seed to schedule an uncommon visit from the Holy Spirit to your home. I'm asking God to give you a stress-free home environment. An unusual visit from the Holy Spirit.
    2. A financial mentor to enter into your life, who will use their secrets to enhance your life, with uncommon financial wisdom.
    3. That God will use this $1,000 seed to reactivate every dormant seed you planted in the past. God will use this seed of obedience today to breathe new life into your future. And whatever the Devil stole from you in the past will be returned unto you 7-fold.
    =================

ANyone else heard of this guy? He amuses me, but I hope no one really takes this serious...

Default Re: Mike Murdock- God Loves Money

Unfortunately there are probably hundreds of people who do take this guy seriously!

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

I'd say I hope this body function gets mugged early & often, but he'd use to fill his tambourine, and on that I'd wager my very last ducat.
    Ya know, or maybe y'all don't, there's a common sayin' that some of the old time 'heat score' carnies on midways would use, we all know it, the "You can't cheat an honest man" one, but that's so much bullsh!t, anyone can cheat anyone just by gainin' a little confidence, exactly how "con games" got their name, but what ya can't do to an honest man is make him cheat himself, especially through greed or deed.....hmm, can't recall off the top o' me punkin' head at the moment, what was said about really stupid people.
    Ain't no bidness like showbidness!

Not very many people would I punch if I saw them in person. Guys like these are on the shortlist.

I just hope too many people don't look at Murdock and think all Christians hold to his beliefs about money. I believe God does bless those who give, but not like Murdock and some of the other 'prosperity' preachers espouse. Prosperity means different things to different people.
    Several years ago one of the then-leading "God wants you to be rich" preachers changed his theology after he visited Haiti and saw Christians who were dirt-poor, barely surviving, but their relationship with God passed any he had ever seen.
    That's my two cents worth. Of course if I had enough faith, maybe it would be my $200 worth.

Ya know, and oddly.... Mike Murdock never talks about Jesus and the Money Changers!

Quote Originally Posted by dsurrett View Post
    I just hope too many people don't look at Murdock and think all Christians hold to his beliefs about money.

I agree. I myself am an inactive Methodist, but I do consider myself a Christian. But yes, guys like Murdock turn alot of people away from religion, and it's no surprise that they do. I just cannot imagine a God who is this obsessed and in love with money, or who blesses credit cards. I mean, isn't the Bible against usery and lending, and credit?

I think the Bible speaks, at least indirectly, about living beyond our means so that we're slaves to debt. The less debt we have, the better off we are. Just my opinion. A perversion of this belief is what fuels some of the overboard prosperity preaching. For example - "God doesn't want us to be in debt, therefore he wants us to be rich" is taking it too far.
    I think God wants us to have our needs met and to trust Him as we seek His kingdom (Matthew 6:33).

What happens if you're a little short? Say you're really strapped at the moment? Anyone take that personal? Maybe there's some sort of payment plan? What's the outcome? An occasional drizzle? I imagine it's all spelled out when you call in, hey? The "whys" and the "wherefores"? I saw/read an idea of this sort awhile back...someone w/bucks, the way they were coming across...thought the idea was pretty wild, myself...but they were earnest. Had some sort of windfall, got in when Coke was young or something. Trying to justify multiple bank accounts. I thought the televangelists went the way of the Bakers...Jimmy Swaggert, down there in Baton Rouge, painting the golden gates black when he transgressed at the Airport Motor-Lodge.

Jimmy Swaggert (1st cousin of Jerry Lee Lewis, and Mickey Gilley) is actually every bit the piano player Jerry Lee is. I've seen some YouTube clips of Brother Jimmy cutting loose on the piano, doing some boogie gospel. I am sure God doesn't love money, but I am fairly sure God loved that piano playing! Jimmy should have just gone and been a rock star like his cousin. At least that way, his transgressions wouldnt have appeared so hypocritical.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast