Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Would love to hear Mr. King's thoughts on what role certain medications play....

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Would love to hear Mr. King's thoughts on what role certain medications play....

Default Would love to hear Mr. King's thoughts on what role certain medications play....

I have not read "Guns" because, unfortunately, I do not have a Kindle. However, I just read Mr. King's article published in The Guardian entitled "Why the US must introduce limited gun controls," and I thought it was the most intelligent, balanced piece I have read about the subject so far.
    What I find striking about a lot of these instances of horrible violence is that the perpetrators are often on some of the same mood/psychological drugs. I have read many pieces about this, but I am dying to read Mr. King's take on this subject. I respect him greatly as an author and if he should ever undertake this subject, I am sure it would be thought provoking, interesting, well written, balanced, and eloquent.

Default Re: Would love to hear Mr. King's thoughts on what role certain medications play....

Ms. Mod has posted a link here for people without a kindle, you may be able to access GUNS in this way.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

Default Re: Would love to hear Mr. King's thoughts on what role certain medications play....

...unless you have a well rounded education in pharmacology, I would suggest he avoid the topic....

You can download a Kindle for free on either type of computer: Mac or PC. That's how I did it and the price for the story is only 0.99 cents.
    I don't have any money right now, but I would never ask a writer to assess what role certain medications play in a mentally disturbed person's actions.
    I'm a Paramedic. I wouldn't even trust myself to know the answer to that but I know what I believe; I don't think medication makes a difference when deciding to kill "more people than the Norway killer did."
    Medications have warning signs before something THAT big would happen. The person will feel "wrong" on it, but Adam Lanza was on no medication and in no treatment for mental illness. He stayed ensconced in his room most of the time with the guns she got him in a safe inside his bedroom.
    I know someone who died at Sandy Hook. Her parents have the police report, or they've seen it b/c they know more than the media is sharing. The also know what was happening right before he shot her and her students.

Quote Originally Posted by EMTP513 View Post
    You can download a Kindle for free on either type of computer: Mac or PC. That's how I did it and the price for the story is only 0.99 cents.
    I don't have any money right now, but I would never ask a writer to assess what role certain medications play in a mentally disturbed person's actions.
    I'm a Paramedic. I wouldn't even trust myself to know the answer to that but I know what I believe; I don't think medication makes a difference when deciding to kill "more people than the Norway killer did."
    Medications have warning signs before something THAT big would happen. The person will feel "wrong" on it, but Adam Lanza was on no medication and in no treatment for mental illness. He stayed ensconced in his room most of the time with the guns she got him in a safe inside his bedroom.
    I know someone who died at Sandy Hook. Her parents have the police report, or they've seen it b/c they know more than the media is sharing. The also know what was happening right before he shot her and her students.
    I am sorry that you lost someone that you knew and who was an immense positive influence on others around her (I read your post in the GUNS thread before this one). Thanks for joining the SKMB and for sharing your thoughts/feeling with us here. Welcome!

I agree with that, except I would think a psychiatrist could answer the question even without the pharmacology degree. I knew a pharmacist and they know more about medications and their roles more than most doctors, mainly b/c Pharmacology is about the only thing they study. Or they study it more extensively than any other part of health care.