Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Senate Bill 19

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Senate Bill 19

Default Senate Bill 19

In the land of 19, Delaware, we have a new bill that we hope to pass.
    \Its going to get rid of the death Penalty in Delaware.

We use to match Texas in the death P.

I dont know if out-of-staters can help or not but
    it might do some good to click the link in the reply below

Default Re: Senate Bill 19

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...are-89363.html

the D.P. is stupid , really stupid. you can , if you like,. put all the morality aside...
    and just look at it logically , its just dumb. it does no one any good.

mostly agreed, big T...

thanks for letting us know...

still...there is justin beiber...i don't know...

...well, here goes....you thinks it's stupid...but most who hold that opinion have never seen the havoc wrought by those convicted and sentenced to die...I know that many will disagree with me, and that's OK-and yes, I work in Corrections...but I felt this way before I wallowed in the daily life of inmates...death is to good for them, and because of our screwed up judicial system-takes way to long to be meted out...putting a burden on taxpayers, the facilities, staff etc...and no closure for the families...I'm am unswervingly in the camp of "an eye for an eye"...case in point-here in my hometown, a colleague of mine was brutally raped by her boyfriend, and afterward..he showed her the body of her son, whom he had savagely murdered....he's still awiting his death date...believe me, I would be more than happy to pinch hit for the Grim Reaper...so while I respect your opinion....I will never ever agree with it...

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...well, here goes....you thinks it's stupid...but most who hold that opinion have never seen the havoc wrought by those convicted and sentenced to die...I know that many will disagree with me, and that's OK-and yes, I work in Corrections...but I felt this way before I wallowed in the daily life of inmates...death is to good for them, and because of our screwed up judicial system-takes way to long to be meted out...putting a burden on taxpayers, the facilities, staff etc...and no closure for the families...I'm am unswervingly in the camp of "an eye for an eye"...case in point-here in my hometown, a colleague of mine was brutally raped by her boyfriend, and afterward..he showed her the body of her son, whom he had savagely murdered....he's still awiting his death date...believe me, I would be more than happy to pinch hit for the Grim Reaper...so while I respect your opinion....I will never ever agree with it...
    I appreciate your feelings, GNT--who hasn't felt that way sometimes? What a terrible crime--it is unimaginable that some people are capable of such callousness and brutality. Justice is due to the man who committed it. And yet. . . . I can't say that I believe the State should kill those who kill. For the State to repeat the action of a criminal, even in the cause of justice, seems to me to place it on the same moral plane. Also, capital punishment seems to have little or no effect on crime. 17th-century England had the death penalty for many more crimes than we do, and you could lose your hand for stealing. Punishment was swift--measured in weeks or months, not years--and yet this was a society where theft and violence were rampant. Since I don't see that the death penalty works, and I don't want to condone killing even killers, I can't support it.

I respect what you say Autumn -- and I'm sort of a fence rider on the death penalty. If there is no question at all that someone did what they did that got them the death penalty, then it should be carried out. But, if there is circumstantial evidence, no. Too many mistakes have been made. I'm sure many innocent people have been executed and I don't like that thought at all.

But, as far as it being a deterrent? I don't care if it isn't. At least we got rid of one horrible murderer. One less to worry about getting out, one less to feed and cloth and house and give sex changes to.
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

i second what dana jean says...i'm no fan of the Dp, but i don't have a great deal of animosity, either: coming from the land of BTk, i have zero problem seeing this used approrpiately ..

however, and i say with a great deal of respect for the big G, whose post was brutally honest, you'd be a fool or a liar not to know there are an awful lot of innocent people railroaded into prison...i would be surprised if there were not a few on death row, too

no matter how much i'd like to see 'the bad guy' get his comeuppance, and i do...i never, ever want to see an innocent behind bars even one single day...it ruins...totally the entire of idea of justice being done...

let me make this clear: beyond all reasonable doubt...fingerprints, true confessions, real eye witness...guilty ? go for it...

slimmest glimmer of not being completely, %110 guilty...well...society may have screwed up, we've seen this before...in fact, we've seen this too many times...even recently...and we have to stop that now

alot and or most of that sort of thing might very well be cleared up forever if we institute a few things...fully fund the various 'innocent' projects...change all laws that disallow new evidence...completely ban any efforts to stop or term limit out the ability to bring that evidence...and make it clear that whenever or wherever we find police and/or prosecutorial misconduct...that those individuals will be arrested, brought up on attempted murder charges..with a conviction having no chance of parole: what cop or prosecutor will bring to trial an innocent if they know they will be hunted down for lying to us all to begin with

I'm with Dana Jean and guido here. It better be an ironclad case and I mean absolutely unquestionable. Even then, I don't think that the State should be murdering people - it sends the wrong message. Like a parent telling a kid not to do something, then turning around and doing it where the kid can see.

Still, I realize that there is a desire for revenge. So, call it that. But, as I said, the evidence had better be ironclad.

It might interest folks to know that it costs more to pursue a DP sentence than it is for life-in-prison. All the stats are here: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty
    The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect/The way you live, the gifts that you give/In the fullness of time/It's the only return that you expect

i'm not sure i view it so much as a revenge thing, tery...tho, i'm sure that there are some who do

for the most part...i could care less about revenge: so far, i've rarely felt that sort of anger toward an individual, probably because i just haven't had to face that sort of situation

i do know how i'd react, as the father of 3 daughters, every time i see one of these horrid reports about kidnapping, rape, murder, i know how i feel about that...and it is not a sober thought...so, i think i can see why someone directly affected by a low level cretin would feel different.

no...what i find, if i think about it, is that i just don't see any realistic reason why i...or we as a society...should pay hundreds of thousands of $$ to house someone like btk...or a hitler...of a osama bin laden...that carries that ironclad assurance like a bright, shiny badge

nope...the really bad ones ? the ones with those assurances....the ones we know are evil and guilty beyond any shadow of any doubt ???

I am Canadian and I wish that we had the death penalty here.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast