This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pope Francis Supports Crackdown On US Nuns

Default Pope Francis Supports Crackdown On US Nuns

Hi, Everybody.

Just one of the many reasons I am a lapsed Catholic.

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-francis-s...150211781.html

BTW- If I remember correctly, the first time I started questioning the Catholic religion was when I was about 7-8 years old. (I was a precocious child, AND I read a lot. Ha!) I was in Catechism and I asked the teacher something to the effect, " Other people worship cows, or a little fat man (Buddha ?). How do we know we are worshiping the *right* god?"

I was quickly chastised and scolded when the teacher said to me, "That is Satan talking."

Just my two centavos.

Peace.
    Last edited by Sigmund; April 16th, 2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: I'm goofy. Ha!

Default Re: Pope Francis Supports Crackdown On US Nuns

not at all surprised...the heirarchy these days has definitively turned its collective back on vatican 2...and there is no way a pope is going to get elected anytime soon if he doesn't tow that line...

women are second class citizens in the eyes of most mainstream religions; there are rare and few exeptions, of course...but it seems those that do have no real influence over general society, here or abroad...

..and this sort of illogic in the face of all reality is why i chose to use my intelligence and not belong to any of them

When I heard he was a Jesuit, I held out a glimmer of hope. But no, it's business as usual in the Great Patriarchy.
    The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect/The way you live, the gifts that you give/In the fullness of time/It's the only return that you expect

Falmouth of the Mighty BlueGrass State and Commonwealth of Kentucky

" Francis has called for a more "tender" church and one that serves society's poorest... "
    Like a kindler, gentler, church?...huh, but I'da swore........

...crackdown?...do the trappings of the office include a papal knuckle striker???...

...come on now!...he IS the "ruler" of the church!....

It's the Catholic church. It's never going to drastically change.
    Think of this way: if you were to join an exclusive club and they had rules, would you expect them to allow you to blatantly break them left and right and still be part of the club? No. I was a lapsed Catholic for many years and found my way back 5 years or so ago. I am a gay man and I deal with the Catholic Church's stance on this in my own way. What I have with my God is a personal thing. I find way too much comfort and solace in the church I attend (the clergy and the parishioners) to denounce the Catholic religion as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by carrie's younger brother View Post
    It's the Catholic church. It's never going to drastically change.
    Think of this way: if you were to join an exclusive club and they had rules, would you expect them to allow you to blatantly break them left and right and still be part of the club? No. I was a lapsed Catholic for many years and found my way back 5 years or so ago. I am a gay man and I deal with the Catholic Church's stance on this in my own way. What I have with my God is a personal thing. I find way too much comfort and solace in the church I attend (the clergy and the parishioners) to denounce the Catholic religion as a whole.
    WELL SAID!!! What people forget is that the Church consists of fragile people who regardless of their position do misspeak against the Church's teachings. They are not the Church. You and God are the Church.

The only important thing is that you have a personal relationship with your God. You can listen to those voices from the people of the Church but hear only what God tells you.

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...crackdown?...do the trappings of the office include a papal knuckle striker???...

...come on now!...he IS the "ruler" of the church!....
    Where ever did you find Sister Mary-Go-Round's ruler???

A ruler... boy you guys had it easy in Catholic School. Our nuns used a long classroom pointer as their discipline device of choice. Man could that thing leave some nasty welts when wielded by an angry nun.

Quote Originally Posted by exzel View Post
    A ruler... boy you guys had it easy in Catholic School. Our nuns used a long classroom pointer as their discipline device of choice. Man could that thing leave some nasty welts when wielded by an angry nun.

We had nuns that used multiple "weapons": rulers, pointers, chalkboard erasers flung at you from across the room, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast