This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Foreign or Domestic:

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Hill Country, Texas
    Posts
    630

    Default Foreign or Domestic:

    There is much discussion on the subject of whether or not the terrorist, cowards who bombed the Boston Marathon are foreign or domestic. Given the location and timing of the attack, it appears (unfortunately) to be domestic. It really doesn't matter to the victims of course, but I would rather it not have been one of my fellow Americans that did this deed. We must, however, consider the following:

    1. The date of the attack is significant to several violent groups native to the United States. In fairness, we must stipulate these are far Right groups. Historically several other such attacks have happened on both a large and small scale on April 15th.

    2. It happened in Boston which holds special historical significance for groups who want to make statements. This goes all the way back to the Boston Tea Party.

    3. Foreign terrorists can't wait to take credit for their handiwork. They have never been shy, no matter how horrific. None of them are claiming this.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    bye
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Foreign or Domestic:

    I think that speculation without the facts is worse than useless, it is a hinderance.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Hill Country, Texas
    Posts
    630

    Default Re: Foreign or Domestic:

    Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    I think that speculation without the facts is worse than useless, it is a hinderance.
    We actually have lots of facts. We can't "hinder" the investigation because we aren't involved in it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    bye
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Foreign or Domestic:

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gray View Post
    We actually have lots of facts. We can't "hinder" the investigation because we aren't involved in it.
    Sure we are. You say something on the internet and somebody reads it and mentions it to their co-worker. That co-worker spreads it around. Pretty soon, there's a new rumor going around for the feds to sort through.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Hill Country, Texas
    Posts
    630

    Default Re: Foreign or Domestic:

    Quote Originally Posted by Sepia and Dust View Post
    Sure we are. You say something on the internet and somebody reads it and mentions it to their co-worker. That co-worker spreads it around. Pretty soon, there's a new rumor going around for the feds to sort through.
    I think that ship has sailed already. When something like this happens there are thousands upon thousands of rumors and problems at core center to deal with and investigators go through that haystack long before they consider the quacking voice of the internet. People are going to talk about this one regardless of anything stated anywhere. The news itself does that damage, as demonstrated by the incorrect reports of a suspect already have been arrested. However, I am more than willing to remain silent if you feel this topic should wait. I consider the whole thing a horror and sometimes talking about things like this help vent.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,210

    Default Re: Foreign or Domestic:

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gray View Post
    1. The date of the attack is significant to several violent groups native to the United States.
    I can't recall anything linked to April 15th right off the top of my head, but it seems to me that certain nuts cling to two dates of note in April: the 20th - Hitler's birthday, and the 30th, the day he committed suicide.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gray View Post
    2. It happened in Boston which holds special historical significance for groups who want to make statements. This goes all the way back to the Boston Tea Party.
    Yep. And the Marathon being run in April was a distinct bonus: roughly a half-million people to injure, maim, kill, and terrorize.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gray View Post
    3. Foreign terrorists can't wait to take credit for their handiwork. They have never been shy, no matter how horrific. None of them are claiming this.
    And as much as I don't want this to be true, I think it is. My gut reaction to the description of the bomb, its contents, where it was detonated, and when it went off screams Disgruntled Spiteful American, not In-the-Name-of-Allah, Nihilists-R-Us, or Angry-Somalian-Pirates-Without-Ships. I think it's someone who's home-grown and certifiable.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    bye
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Foreign or Domestic:

    I agree that the ship has already sailed, mostly because of all the intentional hoaxes.

    My personal preference would be for everyone to discuss the known facts without getting attached to any one idea.

    I might argue, for instance:

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gray View Post
    1. The date of the attack is significant to several violent groups native to the United States. In fairness, we must stipulate these are far Right groups. Historically several other such attacks have happened on both a large and small scale on April 15th.

    2. It happened in Boston which holds special historical significance for groups who want to make statements. This goes all the way back to the Boston Tea Party.
    It does seem strange that the bombing occured on Patriot's Day (also Tax Day) in a city that once held the legendary Boston Tea Party.

    The bomber could also have been specifically targeting the Marathon or someone running in the Marathon. The time and place of the bombing, therefore, might have been only because that's when and where the Marathon was held.


    3. Foreign terrorists can't wait to take credit for their handiwork. They have never been shy, no matter how horrific. None of them are claiming this.
    That is also true. The bomber might also have been targeting a single individual, or targeting the Marathon itself, and he (or she, but probably a he) doesn't want to get caught.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    i'm in the jailhouse now!
    Posts
    870

    Default Re: Foreign or Domestic:

    Watching the story unfold, I noticed the many flags present there on the avenue, flags from around the world. One flag, green stripe, maybe a red stripe, some sort of coat of arms in the middle, from some country, which one I don't know, although I wondered if it was an Arabic country. So, initially, I thought the terrorism has similarities to the attack on the World Trade Center. Yes, April 15th has significance for many people. Too, it is unfortunate that our country has seen many bombings over the course of its history. A brief look at those bombings show a range of suspects--anarchists, Klan members, others. But even a cursory search brought up the following: (That WUO member hired by the east coast college recently spoke about "others still languishing in prison". Since she and Bill Ayers are unrepentant about their actions, should they be included in the list above?) (Looking at WUO activity, they are unlikely suspects, but the date...woo woo.)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Weatherman_actions
    April 15--The FBI arrests WUO members Linda Sue Evans and Dianne Donghi in New York with the help of WUO infiltrator, Larry Grathwohl












  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Fangorn Forest
    Posts
    1,200

    Default Re: Foreign or Domestic:

    I believe the timing closely coincides with the Branch Davidian raid and the Oklahoma City bombing. True, no one has claimed responsibility yet, but nobody rushed forward after 9/11 to say "we did it," even though authorities had started to piece it together within a few days. But I'd agree with the statement from Lily "I think it's someone who's home-grown and certifiable."

    I believe in mercy and grace, but in this case I believe in duct-taping live grenades to those guilty and pulling the pins.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    i'm in the jailhouse now!
    Posts
    870

    Default Re: Foreign or Domestic:

    Nobody took credit for the anthrax mailings, 2001, either...that I know about. Did anyone take credit for the Ft. Hood shootings? For any of the other attempts? I don't know. We've heard about many thwarted attempts...and that one airliner that went down...that was blamed on something w/the airliner...a local man, Stephen Dresch (deceased now) had been speaking with that Ramsi Yusef at Florence now...where he was at the time, I don't know. But he had information online years ago that spoke about that being known about...by Yusef...before the event happened.

    The local university, as part of some sort of speaker series, had Dave Foreman speak. Foreman has a how-to manual available to the public on how to make shotgun shell landmines and other assorted goodies and activities. The philosophy that Foreman is a part of has enabled & encouraged terrorism, domestic in nature, too. Left-wing. Burnings and bombings. One attempt here at the Michigan Tech Forestry Center...a homemade bomb found before it was detonated...was brought to us by the left-wing philosophy of Foreman and his leeks. Should they be included in the list?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •