This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to get ripped, in shape, and heavier.

from modesto, california, now in knoxville, tennessee

Post Time to get ripped, in shape, and heavier.

Well since it's almost summer, I thought it would be a GREAT idea to get into shape. and I mean, MUSCLE bound. Not Rambo huge but a good amount of muscle to show girls that with me, you're safe and to give strangers a second thought about messing with me. When I was in high school I was only bullied by one person but since I have gotten older I have met more enemies and I want to be able to be a good enough size to be able to protect myself without having any physical confrontation. Ex. Someone who doesn't like me sees me but sees how buff I am now and decides its a bad idea to mess with me. I don't want to abuse this power either. I want to eventually enroll in a combat club and be able to learn some ufc or mma kinda defense. I am 6'1 amd weigh in at a solid 120. Can anyone give me some pointers or tips? I heard protein shakes are bad for your kidneys and if I wanna get in shape that cokes and caffeine HAVE to go as well as sweets. Anyone know what I should do? Exercise tips? Nutrition info?

from modesto, california, now in knoxville, tennessee

Question Motivation

I'm trying to get into better shape (ripped and cut) but my dad underestimates me A LOT. He doesn't think I'm dedicated to getting fit because when I was younger I would pick stuff up and put it back down. (sports, mostly) Are there any books on getting motivated to getting fit?

Default Re: Time to get ripped, in shape, and heavier.

Damn, you skinny! I got 20 or so spare pounds that you can have...

But seriously: you need a lot of calories. The trick is to make your diet well-rounded. You don't want a lot of junk food (though the occasional coke or candy bar ain't gonna hurt you). But you want a good balance of protein, fat, and good carbs. As for exercise, the way to build muscle is use heavy weights (whereas, if you just want to be ripped, light weights and lots of reps are the key - but it ain't gonna bulk you up a bunch.)

Most of all, you want to be consistent in your routine. Most people I know who work out focus on different parts of the body on different days, often alternating between lower and upper body.

For the ultimate workout, check into crossfit. It is really intense, and you need a trainer (at least initially), it'll kick your butt, but it'll also get you into amazing shape. There may be a gym that offers this near you.

Best of luck - keep us updated on your progress!

Quote Originally Posted by if-so-Grrl View Post
    Most of all, you want to be consistent in your routine. Most people I know who work out focus on different parts of the body on different days, often alternating between lower and upper body.
    Yep, you don't want to focus on the upper body only to end up with chicken legs. Also, when you work out with weights, you are making microscopic tears in the muscle that's there. The muscle building comes the next day, during rest. So if you work upper body one day, lower the next, that should maximize results.

Best advice I've heard re workouts: the best one for you is the one that you'll do.

I do a number of 12 oz. curls daily.

My elbows are a marvel.

not sure if this will show but if you google big bench secrets you can access it..you want to be careful and start slow so your joints get used to the weight and build up slowly..and nutrition is very important,you can work out like crazy but if you are not eating right it is wasted motion.If you eat right,get rest,and follow a decent routine you should experience good results,though from your height and weight it sounds like your body type is what is known as ectomorph..that is tall slender type..mesomorphs are the shorter,squat,thick type people,forget what regular types are known as..good luck and stick with it..

I just finished The Abs Diet, I think it is one of the better diet books and emphasizes workouts. It is as cheap as 2 bucks at Barnes and Noble and others. The library probably has it.

I used to be an ectomorph, then I turned into a beedle bardomorph.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs9153 View Post
    not sure if this will show but if you google big bench secrets you can access it..you want to be careful and start slow so your joints get used to the weight and build up slowly..and nutrition is very important,you can work out like crazy but if you are not eating right it is wasted motion.If you eat right,get rest,and follow a decent routine you should experience good results,though from your height and weight it sounds like your body type is what is known as ectomorph..that is tall slender type..mesomorphs are the shorter,squat,thick type people,forget what regular types are known as..good luck and stick with it..
    "You've been here before, but things are about to change. I know it. I feel it. There's a storm on the way." -- Stephen King

Reading this post about excercise has exhausted me so much I need to lie down... All those left to right reps with the eyes... sheesh!.

Seriously though, good luck, I admire anyone with willpower to do anything that involves sweating in a non-coitus way.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangclaire View Post
    Reading this post about excercise has exhausted me so much I need to lie down... All those left to right reps with the eyes... sheesh!.

Seriously though, good luck, I admire anyone with willpower to do anything that involves sweating in a non-coitus way.
    Sexercise is always a happy option!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast