This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Controversy over Iman's speech.....

Default Controversy over Iman's speech.....

This happened here in Edmonton...my question is why the government is funding a private school like this? If they are going to say no religion and no government mixing, why do this at all? Remember the Jesus picture that had to be taken down? This is a double standard of it. No religious school should be paid by taxpayers.

The homosexual comment did not go over very well, thank God.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...542/story.html

Default Re: Controversy over Iman's speech.....

Sounds like there's some sort of mosque within the academy and this is where the comments took place? But yeah...seems strange, an islamic academy funded by gov't. Looked online, curious, and found an islamic academy or community college in North Carolina here in the states. Must be others. Gov't here spends all of the 2.7 trillion or more it takes in and then it spends another 1.7 trillion that it doesn't have and I have no clear idea on where it all goes...I doubt the politically-correct crowd bothers to investigate matters if islam is involved. That link I posted in the other school thread about the crossword puzzle that details school work-material printed & published, yet full of malarkey, I'm sure is but the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

hey, staro...just exactly what do your laws allow on this sort of thing ? do you have the same sort of prohibitions against mixing taxpayer $$ w/religion as we do ?

do they 'fund' christain, buddhist native indian or catholic schools in the same manner/extent ?,

enquiring minds want to know

alot of the far right-religious crowd down here have been trying for decades to sneak govt $$ into private religious schools thru vouchers and tax breaks...kinda puts the kibosh on a suggestion that only the politically correct crowd would look the other way on matters not quite kosher...

i don't know exactly who these mischevious politically correct crowds are...but, from what i've seen, they are neither left nor right...but get huffy over whatever irritates them that day

all sides try to schmooze the issues to thier advantage...

I am not sure but will see what I can find about it. I thought private religious learning centres were not funded. Now, I am not sure.

Apparantly, the government funds all the private schools. This is crazy. They should pay their own way. Besides, there are some radical sects of different religions out there that do not have the same respect for the law as we do. I think it is silly to fund any of them. Just my opinion.

Please do, Staro, because that makes no sense! There's an Islamic school but a non-religious school can't have a picture of Jesus? That's just weird.

Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    Apparantly, the government funds all the private schools. This is crazy. They should pay their own way. Besides, there are some radical sects of different religions out there that do not have the same respect for the law as we do. I think it is silly to fund any of them. Just my opinion.
    Then what makes it a private school? That's so strange.