Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
It's a lot like white noise...

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: It's a lot like white noise...

from modesto, california, now in knoxville, tennessee

Post It's a lot like white noise...

Has anyone ever noticed how reading is a lot like white noise? What I mean is when people go to sleep and they have to have some sort of noise to sleep to usually white noise. Not me. The sound of static snow creeps me out. But yeah I do need some kind of noise to sleep to. I guess what I am saying is how comforting it is to settle down and read a good book. What is it that draws us all in to this literary world of imagination? We all know none of it is real but we rejoice when it can be our escape. I know that I have learned to make friends with books. Books are one of the only things that keeps me from going insane. That is no joke. I would one day hope to be a writer myself but it seems that I can't grasp that same magic as others can. That is the brilliance that compels us to keep our faces deep within yellowed pages of musty yet satisfying abstract delicacies. We analyze simple words and phrases and study other's experience's with in the stories but It's like they are right there with us. Take Mr. King's IT for example. When I read that novel I was in the same situation I am in right now. I had no friends. (only ones I have now are 3 states away.) I was struggling with depression, jobless, carless, and womanless. But when I creased that spine of that gateway to a world not only of horror but also friendship and love, It was like I was among old and caring people. I guess my theory here is that people don't understand how reading can be so important. It's an escape from the heartbreak and loneliness that life gives. As a human race we are supposed to unite as one, but if you look outside, it might as well be the end of the world. In conclusion, I was simply wishing to express my personal views and opinions of something that people take for granted everyday. So, go and pick up a good book, turn the pages, and escape...

Default Re: It's a lot like white noise...

...the world of novels has long been my "gateway".....

I read (ofcourse I did) that Americans are the lonelest ppl on Earth. idk if that's true but being a travelor I found few opportunities to make friends, and tended to accept my fate and get on with my life. My two sons how-ever draw friends like bees to honey. Most of their friends have stayed close friends too. That's the best kind imho. Several call me mom2. I feel honored by that title. I envy ppl who can make such lasting friendships but am unable to do this myself. I think its just how I was raised-all about family and the next stopping point on the map. I will keep trying and hope for the best. Hang in there Dave

You're completely right. There's absolutely nothing else like it. I find myself unable to focus on TV or movies (especially TV) the way that I used to, but there's just something about a book. Books are magic.

Reading keeps me awake, happily. I need the noise of a fan to gt to sleep.

Noise of rain and thunderstoms.

I like the rain and thunderstorms. I got used to having a fan in the bedroom for white noise when my kids were older teens and staying up later than me. Now they're out of the house and I still have it, of course it comes in handy when they're in from college.

I love rain and thunderstorms. Unfortunately, though, one of my dogs does not, and barks incessantly when there is thunder. I've tried everything; I have to work really hard to keep her calmed down and quiet, so they are not relaxing for me anymore, at least not when I'm home. It's a different matter when I'm up north.

The sound of a steady rain, though - that is ALWAYS nice. And my favorite of all, of course, is the sound of the sea.

That just made me calm right there. Sound of the sea. Just the sound of the sea.

You know it. We are in hotels and stuff, and get to hear it.

You know it. You are there.

Quote Originally Posted by not_nadine View Post
    That just made me calm right there. Sound of the sea. Just the sound of the sea.

You know it. We are in hotels and stuff, and get to hear it.

You know it. You are there.
    I am not there, and it is killing me. If I get really relaxed, I can go there for a while, but it is not quite the same as being able to hear it all the time...the unceasing rhythm of the waves, the calls of the birds on the wind. The sounds of home...