Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
SK Gives to Maine Gun Control Coalition

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SK Gives to Maine Gun Control Coalition

Default SK Gives to Maine Gun Control Coalition

http://news.yahoo.com/stephen-king-g...141639364.html

Some not so nice comments on the article, but what do you expect from Yahoo?

Default Re: SK Gives to Maine Gun Control Coalition

I need a shower after reading some of those comments.

Holy smoke...........

Ouch to some of the comments----- mayhap some making those comments should ck their facts. SK makes numerous donations to those in need.

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyman View Post
    Ouch to some of the comments----- mayhap some making those comments should ck their facts. SK makes numerous donations to those in need.
    I agree with you Maryann about this.

Never read the comments. Stay far away from the comments. It will just make you sad that so many people are so dumb.

Comments are, to me, like car accidents are to other people.

I. Just. Can't. Turn. Away.

It's an illness.

I know people on the internet are dumb. And I know that their are insanely ignorant people in the world. And I know that my well reasoned response will fall on deaf ears.

But, I just can't leave well enough alone.

Especially on pit bull news stories. The insane and the crazy come out on those.

The King’s can do whatever they want with their own money! That is their Right... and we can still enjoy our Rights at least for now, right?

But I have to wonder... Wasn’t there a study done that showed Maine to be one of the safest places in the country - with some of the most relaxed gun laws (gun crime by rates by population are tied for 5th lowest in America .8 per 100,000), and almost no gang activity? So is it really about safety for the people of Maine, or some other agenda?

He had a right to give where ever he wishes, whether I or anyone else would do the same or not.
    I would like to see statistics on the amount of non-gun violence (knives, etc) in countries where it's unheard of for average citizens to own handguns.
    And just for the sake of argument, if handguns were outlawed in the U.S., how long would it take to get them out the hands of criminals? Years, if ever. Outlaw them, take them away from those who own them legally, and they would be around longer than any of us will live. Marijuana is illegal in most places in the U.S., though many want it legalized. Does that mean it isn't still around in places where it's illegal? Nope. (I'm not stating if I'm for or against. I have mixed feelings though I've never tried it.)
    But for people to bemoan the fact that King gave money to a group that wants stricter gun control? Gimme a break.

Quote Originally Posted by exzel View Post
    The King’s can do whatever they want with their own money! That is their Right... and we can still enjoy our Rights at least for now, right?

But I have to wonder... Wasn’t there a study done that showed Maine to be one of the safest places in the country - with some of the most relaxed gun laws (gun crime by rates by population are tied for 5th lowest in America .8 per 100,000), and almost no gang activity? So is it really about safety for the people of Maine, or some other agenda?
    And you attribute that to lax gun laws? Not the sparse population density or the fact that there isn't a reason for gangs to be there in the first place? Sorry, but that is flawed logic at best. Gangs are formed so they can rob people/places and sell drugs, guns and other contraband. If there aren't enough people to support your enterprises, then they can't subsist. It's like the Wyoming mafia. Heard of that? Neither has anyone else.

Not to mention that every state that has a primarily rural population has pretty low crime rates. I'd say the lower density has a ton more to do with it than lax gun laws.
    Last edited by hossenpepper; April 24th, 2013 at 02:59 PM. Reason: verb tense bitch goddess

Addendum: Did anyone ever consider that primarily rural populace states have lax gun laws because you can where there aren't large amounts of concentrated people?

In other words, even in these states, municipalities often have specific local ordinances that serve to effectively control gun usage in the city limits of said municipality. What works for country mouse doesn't work for city mouse. Maybe if people would start getting that basic concept about human societies, they would enact smarter laws that actually work and quit trying to pull stats out of their asses to prove their opinion to be right instead of evaluating the issue in its entirety.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast