Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Ever considered removing the politics section

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Ever considered removing the politics section

jimson2 Guest

Default Ever considered removing the politics section

and enforcing rules such as these in the "everything else" section?

Posting topics or threads which are based on politics, race, or religion is expressly forbidden.

Flamebaiting, flaming, being abusing, being disrepectful, trolling, spamming or posting to incite or annoy is not allowed. If you cannot make a positive contribution to the thread, then just stay out of it.

I've begun distancing myself from any boards that have political discussion, as it has nothing to do with the whole reason for the board to exist, inherently degenerates into a crap storm, begins taking up a lot of my time, and I end up getting nothing out of it except getting pissed.

I am proud that this time I had absolutely nothing to do with the latest thread being locked. LOL

Default Re: Ever considered removing the politics section

Quote Originally Posted by jimson2 View Post
    and enforcing rules such as these in the "everything else" section?

Posting topics or threads which are based on politics, race, or religion is expressly forbidden.

Flamebaiting, flaming, being abusing, being disrepectful, trolling, spamming or posting to incite or annoy is not allowed. If you cannot make a positive contribution to the thread, then just stay out of it.

I've begun distancing myself from any boards that have political discussion, as it has nothing to do with the whole reason for the board to exist, inherently degenerates into a crap storm, begins taking up a lot of my time, and I end up getting nothing out of it except getting pissed.

I am proud that this time I had absolutely nothing to do with the latest thread being locked. LOL
    The only place politics should be discussed is within the Politics inside Hot Topics. That section is expressly for "Posting topics or threads which are based on politics, race, or religion..." As such, that section will get heated at times. The rest of the rules still apply, and Hot Topics has its own set of rules which should always be respected.

Usually, members are pretty good about keeping things within those limits, so I'm forced to wonder if people are pushing the limits while Marsha is offline.

To get back to your original question: No, we're not removing the section. To the second part, if members have problem with what is being posted, they need to use the reporting system to let us know. At times, we may not see all of the posts nor find things offensive that members do. Always try to remember that reading emotion and inflection in text on the internet is a bad idea.
    Last edited by Jordan; April 26th, 2013 at 11:30 AM.

Jordan

StephenKing.com Webmaster

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems.
    Rene Descartes

... and I forgot to approve my own post.

Jordan

StephenKing.com Webmaster

Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems.
    Rene Descartes

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    ... and I forgot to approve my own post.
    Grats on the ten-million posts, Jordan! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by jimson2 View Post
    Good job!

I've been staying out of them lately myself. I feel healthier for it.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

I love the hot topics and am interested in everyone's opinions. I don't like when the posts get snarky but I guess that just comes with the territory.

jimson2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post

To get back to your original question: No, we're not removing the section. To the second part, if members have problem with what is being posted, they need to use the reporting system to let us know. At times, we may not see all of the posts nor find things offensive that members do. Always try to remember that reading emotion and inflection in text on the internet is a bad idea.

That's cool. I probably wont be seen in there much anymore. I think I'll use the guide "If I feel strongly about something and really want to post......... don't." LOL