Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Haunted Heart

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haunted Heart

Default Haunted Heart

Hi, this is my first post on this forum, seeing as how I have only just registered about 5 minutes ago.

I thought I would start by sharing my thoughts on the Stephen King biography, Haunted Heart, which I read very recently and absolutely loved. It was fantastic to get a good insight into the life of Stephen King, the way he views his writing, how he finds his ideas, etc. But more than that I was fascinated by the demons that the man carries with him and has fought off.

I always knew he had a drinking problem, but his addiction to drugs only became apparent to me upon reading this book. I am pleased to say that it hasn't changed my opinion of King at all, or at least certainly not for the negative. It made him seem like a real person, with as many failings as the rest of us. This man is one of my idols, a hero to me, but even before I read this book I was under no illusions and had certainly not put him on a pedestal, despite being quite in awe of his ability to tell a story and more so the way he can create endless believable characters who you do fully come to love, or hate as much as you would if they were real.
    I myself aspire to write one day, I have already completed a degree in Scriptwriting for film and television at Bournemouth University but have yet to put my writing skills to good use. I have found since leaving university that one complicated/difficult situation after another has prevented me from actually sitting down and working solidly on a project. My writers block seems only to get worse as time goes on and I think I really should be sitting down and putting words on the page, but I have lost my confidence for it and constantly worry when I am writing and it prevents me from getting fully behind the story and it always just falls flat. However having read Haunted Heart and reading about how King does truly write for himself (something I am sure many writers will claim and the reality being for a lot that isn't really 100% true) and he cares little for what others will think, once he gets an idea he needs to sit down and write it and see where it will end. This alone has inspired me hugely, it's helped me to realise that it doesn't matter if you have a hundred people turn around and tell you what you have written is no good, if you have written for yourself what other people think we never really matter all that much. So after reading this book I am even more in awe of King, at the same time as being more aware of his faults and just how human he is, like the rest of us. It's a very odd feeling towards someone I consider to be a hero but its a good thing, it makes me want to read what he writes even more. My respect for him is so much higher.

Sorry if this is a little bit of a ramble, its been a long time since I was on a forum and this one has an awful lot on which I have yet to start reading through, so if I have repeated something that's already been said by someone else I apologise for that too.

I hope to get involved in plenty of discussions if I can and its great to be part of forum related to something I love so much.

Default Re: Haunted Heart

Haven't read Haunted Heart,will def give it a go..have you read his On Writing? Excellent tips for writers,and he delves into his background,very good book..good luck with your career,stick with it!

But more than that I was fascinated by the demons that the man carries with him and has fought off.
    ...with a litle help from Tabby of course...

Tabby sounds like an incredibly woman, I respect her so much for sticking by him and keeping him grounded when I'm sure by the sounds of it it may have been easier just to leave.

And yes, I have heard of On Writing and I've wanted to read it for quite a while but my reading list is long and its one of those books I seem to keep bypassing by accident, but I will definitely search it out and give it a read.

Very well Robyn the Peanut! I must say I kind of avoided the book for some time,thinking it would be a boring instructional manual for writing..I was so wrong,and am happy I finally bought it and absorbed the lessons Mr K had to share..being a writer,you will thank me later for recommending this book..

I respect her so much for sticking by him and keeping him grounded when I'm sure by the sounds of it it may have been easier just to leave.
    ...I love and respect my wife passionately for the very same reason, I are a bit of a grouchy sourpuss-who can be a PIA to live with...

no, it's PITA.

I've got my library looking for this for me. Where did it come from, is it an authorized biography--summary needed here, pleaze!

Quote Originally Posted by Haunted View Post
    I've got my library looking for this for me. Where did it come from, is it an authorized biography--summary needed here, pleaze!
    I'm not sure about that, I'll check with Ms. Mod for you.
    Edited: After a short Google search it's looking like it may not be an authorised biography. (Have passed your question on, though.)
    Last edited by FlakeNoir; April 28th, 2013 at 03:09 PM.
    ~ There'll be Chocolate, if God wills it. ~

It's unauthorized -- it was nominated for an Edgar at the same time as my book. Lisa Rogak interviewed me for the book, along with a bunch of others who have connections to King, but King declined her interview request. I think Ms Mod met her, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast