This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Better than Nightmares and Dreamscapes?

from modesto, california, now in knoxville, tennessee

Better than Nightmares and Dreamscapes?

Well I just started reading this book as suggested by some very good friends on here (picked my copy up at the local used book store for a whopping dollar and fifty cents) and I want to thank them for reminding me of this book because so far it's awesome! I am currently reading The Mist and it is pretty scary. The way the shrieks just die out instantly as well as the fire sirens. Very spooky indeed. I remembered reading Nightmares and Dreamscapes and while it was a GREAT book, it was NOWHERE as great as this one. This one just seems to hit the nail on the head involving such unknown horrific yet fascinating creatures. I know it's like comparing apples to oranges (or in this case revenge to monsters seeing as Dolan's Cadillac is the first entry in N&D) but I feel that maybe this one should have been the one with the title D&S. This one so far seems more capable of giving one "nightmares" then dreamscapes. BOTH are FANTASTIC novels but what is everyone else's opinion on this topic?

Default Re: Better than Nightmares and Dreamscapes?

Although Skeleton Crew has some real corkers overall I think I preferred Nightmares ans Dreamscapes

I think this collection is my favorite. I must re-read.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sartin View Post
    Well I just started reading this book as suggested by some very good friends on here (picked my copy up at the local used book store for a whopping dollar and fifty cents) and I want to thank them for reminding me of this book because so far it's awesome! I am currently reading The Mist and it is pretty scary. The way the shrieks just die out instantly as well as the fire sirens. Very spooky indeed. I remembered reading Nightmares and Dreamscapes and while it was a GREAT book, it was NOWHERE as great as this one. This one just seems to hit the nail on the head involving such unknown horrific yet fascinating creatures. I know it's like comparing apples to oranges (or in this case revenge to monsters seeing as Dolan's Cadillac is the first entry in N&D) but I feel that maybe this one should have been the one with the title D&S. This one so far seems more capable of giving one "nightmares" then dreamscapes. BOTH are FANTASTIC novels but what is everyone else's opinion on this topic?
    Havent yet read Nightmre, still looking for it,

I've literally just finished this collection (for the umpteenth time). So many cracking stories in there. The Reach, at the end, is haunting. Couldn't say if it was better/worse than Nighmares and Dreamscapes, haven't read that for a while. Carry on though, you've some treats in store!!

...I won't judge on this one, because all of his collections to date have had great and not-so-great bits...I just enjoy them for what they are...

Nightmares & Dreamscapes is heavier...11.6 ounces...while Skeleton Crew tips the scale at 10.1...both have the same reach...N&D's binding broke at the page 328-329-mark...there's tape on the binding...and SC has a few more wounds...binding broke at the page 138-141-mark, w/page 139-140 loose...also broke at the page 427-mark, beginning of "Uncle Otto's Truck". Both contain "Notes" at the back...always a plus, but N&D has a bit extra, the Hindu parable, "The Beggar & The Diamond". The font in N&D looks to be a tad smaller than in SC...or maybe not...maybe just my eyes playing tricks. Both have an "Introduction". They're evenly matched, I'd say. If a reader has enjoyed one story from King, the same reader should enjoy all stories from King. I know I did.

I prefer Skeleton Crew over N&D. It's more old-school, gory King. Heh, I remember the first time I read Survivor Type. My jaw hit the floor and my stomach did a flip-flop.

But hell, they're all great, especially the most recent short-story collection, Just After Sunset. Some GREAT stories in that one.

This thread has me wondering: When can we expect the next big collection from Big Steve Daddy? Seems like there's a lot of loose stories just waiting to be collected.

When EVER I see Okra I have a little voice in my head chanting "lady fingers lady fingers taste just like lady fingers"...

Seems like there's a lot of loose stories
    ...ya means they ain't gots no morals????....