This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is this going to end?!

Default Where is this going to end?!

The news at the moment is becomming increasingly depressing. Today I was watching ITV news during my lunch break and was hugely disheartened to find that all their big headlines revolved around child abuse stories. Just horrible.

Those in England will no doubt know about the Jimmy Saville scandal and how the whole situation just seems to be escalating and more and more celebrities are getting dragged into it.

The most recent is once again quite a shock. It's Bill Roach of Coronation Street fame. (For those won't don't know he is one of the longest running soap stars on television.

Whats even weirder is that a couple of months ago this happened:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21843139

And now he's in the news again because of this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22366981

I grow more and more horrified by the day as more and more people are revealed to have apparently abused someone/multiple people. It's disgusting that so many "celebrities" (although they don't deserve the title) could be simply allowed to get away with this.

Where will it end?

Default Re: Where is this going to end?!

this is rather perplexing, as well as maddening...

why are charges only now being sought ?
    did the accuser only now remember that he might've been...what would it be ?
    did he actually attack her ?
    did he just get involved with a teenager ??
    did he know she was underage ?

there is simply not enough facts given to make a clear decision...either way..it certainly sounds like something any sane person should not be involved in..and those sickening comments will do him no favors now...

bet you this just keeps getting bigger

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn the Peanut View Post
    The news at the moment is becomming increasingly depressing. Today I was watching ITV news during my lunch break and was hugely disheartened to find that all their big headlines revolved around child abuse stories. Just horrible.

Where will it end?
    The horrors have always been there and it seems to me that the media enjoys bringing a shock to its viewers . . .brings in good ratings. I've long known and experienced the evils of man. I read the stories but I'm never shocked. It won't end.

Whilst I don't want to detract AT ALL from genuine cases of abuse, I can't help wondering how many of these cases that are cropping up currently involving celebraties, many dating back decades, are fuelled by pound signs. There, I said it, and will probably get stoned now.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangclaire View Post
    Whilst I don't want to detract AT ALL from genuine cases of abuse, I can't help wondering how many of these cases that are cropping up currently involving celebraties, many dating back decades, are fuelled by pound signs. There, I said it, and will probably get stoned now.
    Not by me . . .what about the abuse by the priests over the years. I'm leaving now . . .I don't go down these roads.

From a completely selfish perspective (no disrespect intended to victims of sexual abuse) I feel like my childhood is being stomped all over, all the people on TV when I was little are one after another being accused of sickening crimes.

Of course this is nothing compared to what their victims have (and are) going through, so I'm certainly not complaining - I hope all guilty parties are justly punished - I'm merely stating a fact of the selfish thoughts I sometimes have when I pick up a newspaper

Never ending and very disgusting.

...evil has an endless cycle...

Quote Originally Posted by mustangclaire View Post
    I've thought the same thing myself. It's happened before where a celebrity has been accused of something, their career and reputation destroyed, only for it then to be revealed that the "victims" had made it up to get some money out of the press. But whether or not thats the case with some of these celebs at the moment who knows?

And fredthe3rd I feel the same too, its upsetting knowing you have watched some of these people since you were a child on television only to learn now about horrible things they are being accused of. It taints a lot of memories and I don't think its really selfish to be upset by that.

For so many years things like this weren't spoken about. No one would listen or things would be hushed up owing to the celebrity or power by the abuser. While I think it's great that people are no longer afraid to come forward and are heard, I'm a little bit cynical and have to wonder how many are legitimate and how many are bandwagon jumpers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast