Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Dark Tower Comics Ending????

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Tower Comics Ending????

Default Dark Tower Comics Ending????

So I picked up my Previews at the comic shop today. It lists "Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - So Fell Lord Perth." Under the artwork it says, "Marvel Concludes It's Epic Dark Tower Saga With This All-New One-Shot."

Key word here being "Concludes."

Haven't seen anything about this anywhere else. If Marvel is ending this series, any chance it will be picked up by someone else?

Link to another message board about it, with artwork: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ell-Lord-Perth

Default Re: Dark Tower Comics Ending????

There aren't any plans for another publisher to do Dark Tower comics.

I noticed this the other day too. That really sucks. I think Marvel made the mistake of starting with too much backstory and not enough of the actual books. If they had started with adaptations of Dark Tower I, II, III, etc. instead of spending all that time on Roland's backstory, we could have gotten some really awesome comics. I love the Dark Tower series, but I can't say I was a fan of the first five hard cover collections of the comics. Born, Road, Treachery, Gilead, and Hill were ok, but no where as good as seeing the actual books adapted.

I have the other four hardbacks (Begins, Eluria, Tull, Station) but haven't gotten around to reading them yet. I was about to buy Man in Black when I noticed the last collection that is supposed to be out in Oct. I guess that was someone's idea that backfired. If they had just started with Gunslinger and adapted each one, book by book, fans would have been more excited about them. I guess we are now stuck with a collection of DT comics that didn't even make it through the first book in the series?

I heard how awesome King's Talisman book was and couldn't wait to get the comics, but that series didn't even make it through the one book. It died out after one hardback collection. Not enough interest in that one either.

The Stand comics were supposedly well done and received, with complete omnibus. But it sounds like that was the only set that worked out. Such a shame. Imagine how cool an IT comic would have been. Or even a batch that covered his short stories. One per comic would have made awesome Night Shift, Skeleton Crew, Nightmares and Dreamscapes, etc. sets. Oh well.

The entire Gunslinger is adapted in the second Marvel series, all the way up to the Golgotha scene. Plus we got Little Sisters of Eluria. I wouldn't say anything backfired with the Dark Tower Comics. They were hugely successful, enough so that the original 30-issue run was extended to the second series that covered The Gunslinger, which wasn't part of the initial plan.

...yeah Bev, I've gotten each issue as they were released, and though they weren't all "da best"...most were faithful adaptions or extrapolations of the original undeveloped plot hints and the like....my budget won't be sad it's concluding-but my heart and imagination sure will...

I've never been much of a fan of the comics, but I find it sad they're calling it quits. I kinda wanted to see Eddie Dean and Suze get the four-color treatment. (err, in this day and age I guess you'd call it the enhanced, digital color-seperated treatment, blechh).

Anyhoo, if the DT comics had come out in the early eighties, we'd have probably seen Roland popping up in the Marvel Universe, say in an issue of Marvel Team-Up. That'da been cool. Spider-man and The Gunslinger, verses Doc Ock and The Man In Black! Or maybe Marvel Two-In One: Ben Grimm in Mid World! "It's CLOBBERIN TIME!" "Aye, say thankee!"

S'what geeks like me dream about.

Quote Originally Posted by muskrat View Post
    I've never been much of a fan of the comics, but I find it sad they're calling it quits. I kinda wanted to see Eddie Dean and Suze get the four-color treatment. (err, in this day and age I guess you'd call it the enhanced, digital color-seperated treatment, blechh).

Anyhoo, if the DT comics had come out in the early eighties, we'd have probably seen Roland popping up in the Marvel Universe, say in an issue of Marvel Team-Up. That'da been cool. Spider-man and The Gunslinger, verses Doc Ock and The Man In Black! Or maybe Marvel Two-In One: Ben Grimm in Mid World! "It's CLOBBERIN TIME!" "Aye, say thankee!"

S'what geeks like me dream about.
    ...Roland VS The Punisher....yeah!...

LOL, you are totally right. I always approach characters in their own closed off little worlds, so the usual tendency to do crazy crossovers never dawned on me. That would have had potential.

Dern tootin. Hey, Spidey met Red Sonja. Conan went sword-to-claw with Wolverine. Why not Roland takin a few shots at Doc Doom? He'd think at first it was a Calla Wolf, see. Then Doom, being Doom, would spin a yarn of bull, and trick Roland into thinkin he was on the up and up. Then Doc Strange would find one of them 'bends in the rainbow' and go help a 'Slinger out. Geek heaven.

I got the last two Evil Grounds issues..is the above mentioned one shot the end? Can you tell us when or what?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast