Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
The Emotional Toll

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: The Emotional Toll

Default The Emotional Toll

This thread was prompted by an item on NPR. It concerned hurricane Sandy and the damage it wrought, and I was struck by how the majority of stories focus on the financial ramifications and its implications on insurance and such. In the immediate aftermath you will here many more personal accounts, but once the media feels it had milked the human angle long enough it is quickly forgotten in favour of the latest tragedy. Living in Canada near the Great lakes we have occasional tornados, and hurricanes deliver barely a glancing blow, I started to wonder about how the victims of previous disasters react emotionally when another storm is imminent or even just a possibility. It must be horrific for some. Sorry about the long-windedness.

Default Re: The Emotional Toll

Thinking of especially the Sandy victims not only hit by the devastating hurricane and then several bad snowstorms on top of that damage. When I was a kid we belonged to a beach club on the Long Island Sound EVERY year that beach club was flattened by an October hurricane and had to be rebuilt.

I would think that having been hit so badly once and knowing the possibility of more storms like it could come would have me looking for a different area to live. The state I live in now is being inundated by Floridians wanting to get away from the danger of possible hurricanes. We just get tornadoes. There does not seem to be an area in the US that does not have some draw back as far as the climate.

I do feel that the media is not covering the area hit by Sandy because they don't see much improvement in the devastation and that is not good news.
    Last edited by Haunted; May 6th, 2013 at 08:56 AM.

I've lived in Florida for 44 years of my adult life. Not sure if it was the innocence of youth, or it being a new factor-- but over the years "tropical season" has taken its toll on my emotional being. I find it difficult to use the correct term hurricane. The months of June through the end of November can almost be related to post traumatic shock. Each new forecast, each new warning brings back memories of past storms. It becomes a 24/7 glued to the Tv/radio. Evacuations, responsibility to the critters. I must state I am so thankful as I have not seen the destruction that many have experienced. But I am reminded over and over- it only takes one storm--( there but for the grace of God...) and they are getting bigger and stronger, and coming sooner. The start month is just around the corner and already I feel that feeling deep inside.
    There are other members on the Gulf Coast, friends, who feel the same way.

My wife works as a case manager for one of the organizations that assist people who were affected by tornadoes in our area (Birmingham, AL) two years ago. Some of the victims are still trying to get help for rebuilding, but the stories just aren't on the local news anymore. When you do hear coverage, it's about Tuscaloosa, even though Birmingham was harder hit (not to minimize the damage and loss of life in Tuscaloosa).
    New stories come along, and yesterday's news is forgotten.

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Quote Originally Posted by EMARX View Post
    I started to wonder about how the victims of previous disasters react emotionally when another storm is imminent or even just a possibility. It must be horrific for some. Sorry about the long-windedness.
    In 2004, we were hit with two hurricanes in 3 weeks. We got dead centered, we had the eye of both storms go over us. Both storms actually made landfall in almost the same place. In between those two storms, we had a tropical storm hit us and dump a load of rain. Luckily where I live, it is very sandy and a difficult place to flood so there was not the devastating kind of flood damage that you saw in a Katrina or Sandy. When it was becoming clear that the second hurricane in three weeks was going to hit us, it was incredibly discouraging because everyone had just spent the previous three weeks getting cleaned up from the last one. I had just got my power back on 2 or 3 days before the second one hit. Everyone was really worried about the second one because the damage from the first had not been repaired. I know people that had manageable roof damage in the first one that lost their entire roof in the second one because there hadn't been enough time to get the roofs repaired. It was really tough to get mentally ready for that second one. Our area came out OK though and I don't want to compare it with or make it sound anything like the disastrous situation the people in Katrina or Sandy went through. But I will tell you, when that second hurricane was about to hit, it was the worst case of "Oh Sh*, here we go again" that I've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyman View Post
    I've lived in Florida for 44 years of my adult life. Not sure if it was the innocence of youth, or it being a new factor-- but over the years "tropical season" has taken its toll on my emotional being. I find it difficult to use the correct term hurricane. The months of June through the end of November can almost be related to post traumatic shock. Each new forecast, each new warning brings back memories of past storms. It becomes a 24/7 glued to the Tv/radio. Evacuations, responsibility to the critters. I must state I am so thankful as I have not seen the destruction that many have experienced. But I am reminded over and over- it only takes one storm--( there but for the grace of God...) and they are getting bigger and stronger, and coming sooner. The start month is just around the corner and already I feel that feeling deep inside.
    There are other members on the Gulf Coast, friends, who feel the same way.
    (((((BIG HUG))))

Quote Originally Posted by fljoe0 View Post
    In 2004, we were hit with two hurricanes in 3 weeks. We got dead centered, we had the eye of both storms go over us. Both storms actually made landfall in almost the same place. In between those two storms, we had a tropical storm hit us and dump a load of rain. Luckily where I live, it is very sandy and a difficult place to flood so there was not the devastating kind of flood damage that you saw in a Katrina or Sandy. When it was becoming clear that the second hurricane in three weeks was going to hit us, it was incredibly discouraging because everyone had just spent the previous three weeks getting cleaned up from the last one. I had just got my power back on 2 or 3 days before the second one hit. Everyone was really worried about the second one because the damage from the first had not been repaired. I know people that had manageable roof damage in the first one that lost their entire roof in the second one because there hadn't been enough time to get the roofs repaired. It was really tough to get mentally ready for that second one. Our area came out OK though and I don't want to compare it with or make it sound anything like the disastrous situation the people in Katrina or Sandy went through. But I will tell you, when that second hurricane was about to hit, it was the worst case of "Oh Sh*, here we go again" that I've ever had.
    ((((BIG HUG))))
    Last edited by Haunted; May 6th, 2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: I are a dummy

Quote Originally Posted by dsurrett View Post
    My wife works as a case manager for one of the organizations that assist people who were affected by tornadoes in our area (Birmingham, AL) two years ago. Some of the victims are still trying to get help for rebuilding, but the stories just aren't on the local news anymore. When you do hear coverage, it's about Tuscaloosa, even though Birmingham was harder hit (not to minimize the damage and loss of life in Tuscaloosa).
    New stories come along, and yesterday's news is forgotten.
    People needing help should be on the news 24/7 365!!

...the long-term human toll doesn't spike the ratings-therein lies the reason the media chases the next disaster like a moth after a lightbulb....bastards...