Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Star Trek: Into Darkness

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek: Into Darkness

Default Star Trek: Into Darkness

Anybody seen this yet? I just got back.

I don't know how to do a spoiler thing that people can click on, so I won't say much.

All in all, I liked it.

There were a couple of incongruities between the last movie and this one, including one whopper of a leap from canon, a couple of "Why did they even do that?" moments and one huge disappointment. But that disappointment is my personal feeling about something, not anything they did wrong in the movie.

I hope everybody sees it so that we can chat.

Default Re: Star Trek: Into Darkness

Lepplady,hit the go advanced button..click on the red block with the white stripe on itwhich is between the Wiki tags and insert horizontal line icon,and the spoiler tags appear..then just type and post..

I have yet to see it, but I would love to. I'm not a huge Star Trek fan.....I want to see it for Benedict Cumberbatch. I think he is awesome and I look forward to seeing more of his acting. He is fantastic in Sherlock!

...nope, I haven't made the leap to the new crop of actors yet...

I liked it , too - it was fun. But I felt that it could have been much, much more. The plot had holes in it, and was mostly recycled ( lazy writing), and while the effects were awesome ( warp speed in 3D rocks), the story suffered because Abrams wanted to make a movie with broader appeal than the fan base. A big, flashy, summer action blockbuster, in other words, but one with Kirk, Spock, and company.

Also, the last action sequence had me alternately laughing and rolling my eyes...it was ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by charmed_one3 View Post
    I have yet to see it, but I would love to. I'm not a huge Star Trek fan.....I want to see it for Benedict Cumberbatch. I think he is awesome and I look forward to seeing more of his acting. He is fantastic in Sherlock!
    Star Trek fan or not it is totally worth going to see it for Benedict Cumberbatch. I love him as Sherlock too but now I love him even more!

And since I am a Star Trek fan I thought the movie itself was great too. I already want to see it again.

We saw it yesterday and quite liked it. I like the way they are reinterpreting old material and turning some of it on its head. Gratuitous tribbles! My wife found some of the dramatic moments a little overwrought but on the whole it was excellent.

Okay. Here are some spoilers. I mean it. Don't click if you don't want to know.

Love this!

Scotty's little friend (played by Deep Roy) is in the movie, on the crew!

Not crazy about this:

Khan. I never wanted anybody else to play him. And while they did a fine job of it, my sentimental favorite will always be Ricardo Monatalban.

Kinda iffy about this:

Spock's delivery of the "KHAAAAAAAN!" scream. I like the whole role reversal bit, but his delivery didn't have the same hate and determination.

Didn't see this coming:

Carol Marcus. When the blonde showed up, I didn't realize that that's who she was going to turn out to be.

Intelligence insult I can't really get past:

On the bridge of the bigger ship, all Scotty had to do was keep Khan knocked out, but he was distracted? Really?

Explain this to me:

Why is it that when Kirk blasted Khan, one shot stunned him. But when Uhura zapped him later, blast after blast couldn't knock him out...?

The REALLY big leap from the older shows, and even from the last movie:

Why is Christopher Pike walking???

Anybody else have thoughts you can hide under a spoiler tag?
    Thanks for telling me how to manage that, by the by :-)
    Last edited by Lepplady; May 19th, 2013 at 04:17 PM.

I saw it Friday night and really enjoyed it. I think they are doing a good job of renewing the brand. This one accomplished several things trekkies should be happy with including

bringing the Spock - Kirk friendship back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by tenngolfer View Post
    I saw it Friday night and really enjoyed it. I think they are doing a good job of renewing the brand. This one accomplished several things trekkies should be happy with including

bringing the Spock - Kirk friendship back to normal.
    I agree. We're really starting to see that now. It was rather lacking before.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast