Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Connection with Muscular Dystrophy

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: Connection with Muscular Dystrophy

Default Connection with Muscular Dystrophy

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to the following?:

My little brother had Muscular Dystrophy, of which he died from when he was 16.

Because of this, I have noticed that Stephen King has made reference to this disease several times in his work. I think i have come across it 3 times now, the last book I'd read being The Dark Half.

Out of curiosity, today I googled "Stephen King Muscular Dystrophy" and was intrigued to discover that this year the book "Joyful" has been released, which contains a character who has MD.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the connection was between SK and MD? I think there must be a reason why he refers to this illness so often, perhaps he knew some one who suffered from it?

Cheers!

Flash Gordonette

Default Re: Connection with Muscular Dystrophy

I'm not sure if it's the reason he uses it, but he has known people who have MD. It may also have something to do with the physical limitations of MD working with the plot line.

Be careful not to spoil anything, folks! I'm only on page 95.

I've also noticed he writes of brain tumors in quite a few of his works, including JOYLAND. Even if a character doesn't actually have a brain tumor, it crosses their mind that they might have one. To me, a brain tumor suggests a loss of mental control and I would find that terrifying. IMO, it's yet one more way for Sai King to give us the willies.

Thanks for your replies everyone

I'm happy with the answer that SK has known people with MD

True about the tumors!

Quote Originally Posted by flashgordonette View Post
    Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to the following?:

My little brother had Muscular Dystrophy, of which he died from when he was 16.

Because of this, I have noticed that Stephen King has made reference to this disease several times in his work. I think i have come across it 3 times now, the last book I'd read being The Dark Half.

Out of curiosity, today I googled "Stephen King Muscular Dystrophy" and was intrigued to discover that this year the book "Joyful" has been released, which contains a character who has MD.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the connection was between SK and MD? I think there must be a reason why he refers to this illness so often, perhaps he knew some one who suffered from it?

Cheers!

Flash Gordonette
    So sorry about your brother.

...spare me the Dean haters, but I feel that both King & Koontz have a deft touch in showing us the hidden strengths of the afflicted, downtrodden, different or disabled...they come at it from different directions, sure...but you quickly forget they are hampered in some way, and just lose yourself in the "thereness" of the character...