Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
It was pretty good.

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: It was pretty good.

jimson Guest

Default It was pretty good.

The actors who portrayed Mattie Devore and Sara Tidwell were almost a perfect match to the characters I imagined in the book.

I thought Pierce Brosnan was a bit of an odd choice before I saw the movie and still do, the British accent didn't really fit and I thought he was a bit old for the part, but I thought he played it pretty well.

Max Devore didn't appear as sinister as I imagined him and I thought Rogette Whitmore was suppose to have white hair.

I am often puzzled by the changes made in a film adaption when there seems no reason to change them, I guess I can understand the change of how Lance Devore died and I guess the changing of the sex of the Tidwell child was made to make it all apply to daughters only.

There was no mention of Noonan hiring Mattie a lawyer and him simply standing up to Devore in the deposition wasn't really enough to make him the big hero from the book IMO.

Also, at no point in the movie was the house referred to as "Sara Smiles."

These are just little things and over all, the story paralleled the book fairly well, but it seems that a few things were changed for no real reason.

Maybe I am becoming a little more tolerant as I get older, but it seems that King adaptions are getting better at following the book.

Default Re: It was pretty good.

I know that an adaptation of a book into a movie is a great artistic challenge, and that the result usually shows to someone or other omission(s) of vital material. Michael Chricton once explained the problem arithmetically: A novel is 400 pages. A screenplay is 40 pages. The screenwriter must tell the same story in 90% less spacetime.

Bag is one of my fave sK books; the movie, not one of my fave sK movies, though I did appreciate being told the basic story again. It was a good movie, imho, made exceptional by sK's original ideas.

...liked the novel....lukewarm over the film...

hmmm...general screenwriting ettiquette,as far as i can recall, still puts a page of screenplay at about a minute of screen-time...chricton might've been somewhat mistaken...

'course...if you ever saw any of the films wherein he wrote the screenplay...now you know why they felt so vapid

loved the book...did not like the movie...not even slightly

I think Crichton didn't mean literally 40 pages. Just that what's left of a book after adaptation is comparative of 40 pages of the book - meaning 90 % of the book didn't make it into the film.
    Seems a bit much to me, but I'm sure he knows what he's talking about.

Watching the film I couldn't help thinking that Brosnan lost his real life wife, Cassandra Harris, who was only 43. It was odd to me to watch it in this light. It's just a role, but it still seems close to home.

I was disappointed-which I always regret saying in reference to anything SK related! There are so many "little things" that get lost when a novel goes to screen. One of my favorite parts of the book was when Kyra said something like, "Don't taggle your own quartermack" (or something along those lines). How weird is it that this was one of my first thoughts after watching the miniseries?!

I have not read the book yet, but I watched the movie. Some time ago it was on TV, and I remember sitting late at night watching this. I did not regret I have watched it, I loved the movie. Maybe, if I read the book first, I would have been of a different opinion...Well, most certainly, I would have been of a different opinion It is very difficult to like a movie when you love the book very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lina View Post
    I have not read the book yet, but I watched the movie. Some time ago it was on TV, and I remember sitting late at night watching this. I did not regret I have watched it, I loved the movie. Maybe, if I read the book first, I would have been of a different opinion...Well, most certainly, I would have been of a different opinion It is very difficult to like a movie when you love the book very much.
    Read the book. It's so much better than the mini-series.

I thought the mini-series was about as good as it could be. I think the book was a little complicated to be made into a movie and include all the aspects. For example,

it was easier to have Mike's wife get killed by a car than have her die of a brain aneurysm.
    You can't really show that in a movie, you have to explain what happened. I think there were a lot of things like that, where they had to make a change for the movie to move the story along, rather than spend time trying to explain certain things. I should point out I thought the book was OK, not great.
    Last edited by Dana Jean; June 17th, 2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: added spoilers

I appreciate all the kind welcome. I really like the Bag of Bones book because I learned what plot mystery matrix crossroads confusion means. The movie Wild Things is a good example. It is always interesting when a writer gives away his secrets. I expected more from the movie and more from Pierce Brosnan. A lot of symbolism was involved and what I consider uncomfortable silence in a movie. But the fear was A+.
    Last edited by Dana Jean; August 3rd, 2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: messed up coding.