This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: I don't see an entry for the Dead Zone tv series...

Default I don't see an entry for the Dead Zone tv series...

Was Uncle Stevie not a very big fan of it? I'm enjoying it on DVD so far... it seems well-done for the most part. Maybe it's too much like network-sanctioned fanwanking? Maybe it went on for too long? I'll offer my own final verdict when I'm finished watching the six seasons, which were shorter than normal seasons, between thirteen and nineteen epis each, it looks like.

Default Re: I don't see an entry for the Dead Zone tv series...

The first season is great, the second good, the third decent; after that, it goes downhill. It gets so bad that there is a Christmas episode in which Johnny uses his powers to find a crazyily-in-demand video game for his son. That episode is one of the worst things I've ever seen, and I gave up on the series after it aired.

I've got all the DVDs, though, so I'll eventually power may way through the rest, just to say I did it.

Yeah I've been worried about how it would hold out for six seasons from the outset... I remember the Reverend asking him why he never got visions of people taking naps, because his vision was made for greater things, he then answered his own question... I guess that changes somewhat by the Christmas episode...

...I don't recall if King cared for it or not...not that it matters really, once he "sanctioned" it...it took on a life of it's own, and his "feelings" be hanged...
    Last edited by GNTLGNT; June 22nd, 2013 at 07:48 PM.

..."fanwanking"...my new word for the day...

120 miles S of the Waffle/Pancake line in pancake territory

Quote Originally Posted by Ebdim9th View Post
    Yeah I've been worried about how it would hold out for six seasons from the outset... I remember the Reverend asking him why he never got visions of people taking naps, because his vision was made for greater things, he then answered his own question... I guess that changes somewhat by the Christmas episode...
    They should have had an episode where Johnny finds everyone's keys for them.

Or invited to the White House to find The President's keys for him....

I'm watching a season 2 epi called "Playing God"(Ally Sheedy was in it, who of course was w/ AMH in Breakfast Club too) and it's directed by Mike Vejar, who was one of the primary directors for Babylon 5.....

There was another epi called "Precipitate" that I believe was the inspiration for the series "Dead Like Me". Of course Fuller used to write for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, made by the same producers of TDZ...
    Last edited by Ebdim9th; June 22nd, 2013 at 09:00 PM.

I watched the first couple of episodes when it was new, however it was hard for me to get into it. Firstly because the Cronenberg film was so superb (and Walken's portrayal still one of my favourite roles of him ever), that any further films seemed redundant.
    And secondly because the dramatic arc of the novel seems such a one off thing to me, it is perfect (and tragic) as it is, there is no need to further expand on it.
    On the other hand it seems to be highly regarded by those who watched it, so maybe I should give it a try some time. But there are currently so many great series in the fantastical genre already, that it's hard to keep up as it is.

And about series going down in quality over the seasons, that seems to be a problem with almost any series I've seen, even the best. They never seem to end on a high note, but basically all of them sort of 'die off slowly' until they're cancelled.