This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCOTUS Rules Key Part Of DOMA Unconstitutional

Default SCOTUS Rules Key Part Of DOMA Unconstitutional

Default RIP DOMA

Looks like the Supremes finally got something right, in throwing out the part of DOMA that recognizes marriage as only between one man and one woman. Marriage equality is now a reality in the US, at least in many states.

They also refused to overrule the lower court that struck down California's Proposition 8. The full implications of this aren't yet clear, but it is at least a partial victory for those of us who believe in equality for all people.

The DOMA ruling is a much larger victory.

Default Re: RIP DOMA

I don't think the Prop 8 decision not to decide is going to have much farther reaching implications than now gay marriage will be recognized in CA. But it does add another state for equality so that's good. We're slowly but surely chipping away!

It actually offends me that anyone would think that two men or two women marrying would mean that my marriage means less. If a duck and a cow get married my marriage is still the most important thing in the world to me. And it should be for ANYONE who wants to marry.

DOMA was stupid. Good riddance.

Default Re: SCOTUS Rules Key Part Of DOMA Unconstitutional

We have had all the rights in Canada for going on ten years ...give or take. I cannot believe that a couple couldn't get benefits that other straight couples enjoy just because they are gay. If you work and pay your taxes you are entitled to what everyone else gets.

Default Re: RIP DOMA

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
    I don't think the Prop 8 decision not to decide is going to have much farther reaching implications than now gay marriage will be recognized in CA. But it does add another state for equality so that's good. We're slowly but surely chipping away!

It actually offends me that anyone would think that two men or two women marrying would mean that my marriage means less. If a duck and a cow get married my marriage is still the most important thing in the world to me. And it should be for ANYONE who wants to marry.

DOMA was stupid. Good riddance.
    DOMA *was* stupid. I'm glad the SCOTUS dinged this one.

Quote Originally Posted by staropeace View Post
    We have had all the rights in Canada for going on ten years ...give or take. I cannot believe that a couple couldn't get benefits that other straight couples enjoy just because they are gay. If you work and pay your taxes you are entitled to what everyone else gets.
    Gay folk (and I am one of them) actually pay more in taxes because we don't get all of the tax breaks come income tax time that married folk get.

...for my brothers and sisters here....I have to say I'm overjoyed for ALL of you...I will never grow tired of saying EVERYONE deserves the chance to be happy...I could give a flyin' frick at a rollin' donut, what X or Y chromosomes are hookin' up, as long as your heart is full with love!...

Quote Originally Posted by kingricefan View Post
    Gay folk (and I am one of them) actually pay more in taxes because we don't get all of the tax breaks come income tax time that married folk get.
    It's the same for any unmarried partner. It also bothers me that any dedicated couple are penalized if they aren't married. This is why I think we should just have a flat tax for everyone so it's fair. I also think that people who choose to share their lives should also be able to share their benefits if they have ohabitated, say, over a year. But I'm sure that will never happen!

What bothers me so much is that the government needs to decide if marriage is religious or if it's a legal thing. They can't have it both ways.

“We’re very happy with it,” said Joe Darger, a Utah-based polygamist who has three wives. “I think [the court] has taken a step in correcting some inequality, and that’s certainly something that’s going to trickle down and impact us.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast