Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
King and Kubrick

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Thread: King and Kubrick

Default King and Kubrick

Hi everybody!
    Sorry for the noobish question, but... I remember that a lot of time ago, I read something written by Stephen King where he explained the reasons why he didn't like Kubrick's Shining. Is it possible? I remember quite clearly some parts of it, but not everything, and I'd love to read it again. Was this article published somewhere on the web? Is this just a bad memory of mine?
    Thanks for help!

Default Re: King and Kubrick

...hope this helps honey...

"Not long after the release of Kubrick's film, King opined: "Stanley Kubrick's version of The Shining is a lot tougher for me to evaluate, because I'm still profoundly ambivalent about the whole thing. I'd admired Kubrick for a long time and had great expectations for the project, but I was deeply disappointed in the end result. Parts of the film are chilling, charged with a relentlessly claustrophobic terror, but others fall flat ... Not that religion has to be involved in horror, but a visceral skeptic such as Kubrick just couldn't grasp the sheer inhuman evil of The Overlook Hotel. So he looked, instead, for evil in the characters and made the film into a domestic tragedy with only vaguely supernatural overtones. That was the basic flaw: because he couldn't believe, he couldn't make the film believable to others. What's basically wrong with Kubrick's version of The Shining is that it's a film by a man who thinks too much and feels too little; and that's why, for all its virtuoso effects, it never gets you by the throat and hangs on the way real horror should. I'd like to remake The Shining someday, maybe even direct it if anybody will give me enough rope to hang myself with ..."

While I get the point of what SK is saying, I still love Kubricks version. I think it has a great atmosphere. Also, IMO SK's TV version was just not in the same league. It had no atmosphere and the casting what just bad. I prefer the book to either version.

Quote Originally Posted by GNTLGNT View Post
    ...hope this helps honey...

"Not long after the release of Kubrick's film, King opined: "Stanley Kubrick's version of The Shining is a lot tougher for me to evaluate, because I'm still profoundly ambivalent about the whole thing. I'd admired Kubrick for a long time and had great expectations for the project, but I was deeply disappointed in the end result. Parts of the film are chilling, charged with a relentlessly claustrophobic terror, but others fall flat ... Not that religion has to be involved in horror, but a visceral skeptic such as Kubrick just couldn't grasp the sheer inhuman evil of The Overlook Hotel. So he looked, instead, for evil in the characters and made the film into a domestic tragedy with only vaguely supernatural overtones. That was the basic flaw: because he couldn't believe, he couldn't make the film believable to others. What's basically wrong with Kubrick's version of The Shining is that it's a film by a man who thinks too much and feels too little; and that's why, for all its virtuoso effects, it never gets you by the throat and hangs on the way real horror should. I'd like to remake The Shining someday, maybe even direct it if anybody will give me enough rope to hang myself with ..."
    Thank you for the quote. I've never heard that point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by doowopgirl View Post
    While I get the point of what SK is saying, I still love Kubricks version. I think it has a great atmosphere. Also, IMO SK's TV version was just not in the same league. It had no atmosphere and the casting what just bad. I prefer the book to either version.
    And, thank you for saying what you believe.

My two cents, the book far outshines (no pun intended) Kubrick's version. I haven't seen the television version, so no opinion.