Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 1
Does King still write on a typewriter? Or did he upgrade to a PC?

This message board is only an archive. Click here to go to the current message board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does King still write on a typewriter? Or did he upgrade to a PC?

Default Does King still write on a typewriter? Or did he upgrade to a PC?

I am often curious how older writers write. I know Cormac McCarthy still uses the same model typewriter he used when he first got started. He actually auctioned off the typewriter he wrote most of his work on to charity then replaced it with the exact same model.

Has King said what he writes on nowadays?

Default Re: Does King still write on a typewrite? Or did he upgrade to a PC?

I think when he's not jotting down notes on napkins sK is using a word processor. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that at one time his personal computer of choice was a Macintosh. He may use other brands by now, instead. Although, I've heard that once you go Mac you never go back.

I've seen him write on a laptop too. I think it was in the documentary Shining in the Dark. And he writes FAST, which is no surprise considering the output.

The On Writing 10th Anniversary edition cover shows a word processor too (although looks like an old photo). I think the typewriter was only his early writing.

Older writers.

Puters are for fornits.

I've always wondered what the first novel was that he wrote on a computer and not a typewriter? Marsha, you wouldn't happen to know, would you?

Quote Originally Posted by AchtungBaby View Post
    I've always wondered what the first novel was that he wrote on a computer and not a typewriter? Marsha, you wouldn't happen to know, would you?
    I think the first thing he wrote using a word processor was Word Processor of the Gods which came out about the same time as certain publishers who had rejected some of his first submissions began ka-incidentally disappearing.
    Last edited by blunthead; June 30th, 2013 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by not_nadine View Post
    Older writers.

Puters are for fornits.
    I didn't mean that as slight against King. I meant the last generation of writers to write the bulk of their work before the heyday of the word processor and PC.

Quote Originally Posted by bhamade View Post
    I didn't mean that as slight against King. I meant the last generation of writers to write the bulk of their work before the heyday of the word processor and PC.
    Yes, and some writers today prefer to use the typewriters they've always used, although I can't think of any of their names.

...pretty much anything when inspiration strikes...

Quote Originally Posted by bhamade View Post
    I am often curious how older writers write. I know Cormac McCarthy still uses the same model typewriter he used when he first got started. He actually auctioned off the typewriter he wrote most of his work on to charity then replaced it with the exact same model.

Has King said what he writes on nowadays?
    The progression was typewriter to Wang word processor to Macintosh computers. Occasionally he starts writing by hand but that's usually only if he doesn't have either his laptop or desktop handy. When he's working from home, it most often is on the iMac and on the road, it's his MacBook laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by AchtungBaby
    I honestly don't remember which was the first on a Mac but it's been about 20 years since he switched over from the Wang and he'd been using the word processor for a while before I started working for him so don't know about that either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast